Any decent links to Java2D / BufferedImage / Math type FX tutorials?

As the subject asks,

I’m obsessed with creating display/images with Java alone, like random pixels in an array that displays on JFrame, a bit like what ‘processing’ does but I’m looking for decent links that deal with just Pure Java in like eclipse/netbeans if anyone could help us out? At the moment I’m only able to created random images, but there must be something around that deals with maths to create ‘more less-random’ images - maybe using the math class etc? For example, mandelbrots etc

Cheers

You could use cos/sin to make some nice circles :P.

That is about the extent of my knowledge of this, but it’s something? lol

Thanks for the advice, I’ll give it a whirl when I boot up GameMaker ::slight_smile:

Heres a good one I found yesterday which is interesting, start of a pure Java 3d game tutorial testing out the start of the engine:

dwn_UrItwfw

TheCherno is a terrible tutor and is highly inexperienced. Don’t watch his tutorials unless you want to destroy a few IQ points.

• Jev

I found he explains things a lot more than just coding than many I’ve seen on youtube, yeah he can hault and stall a lot “ok, ok, sooo ok, right, right” but tbh he does go into detail and has helped me.

Then you have the show offs just using notepad who just storm through it with no explaination and call it a tutorial.

Each to there own taste, if you have anything to share topic related please let me know…

• C

Just don’t listen to any of the b/s he says about Java itself. He’s terrible with that.

Everything in that series was also ripped off from one of Notch’s games. It’s called Prelude of the Chambered, look it up.

• Jev

Already know about that, I’m always studying Java. I’ve also played all of his others, that fedora cap game, minicraft, miners4k etc. Hes got cool ideas but didn’t cherno clearly states that hes inspired from notchs idea and that there friends? Notch also used ideas for minecraft from that space block game, Bill Gates used ideas from altair, Steve Jobs used ideas with the mouse thing, everyone ‘steals’ ideas, its all to do with putting the work down and making it evolve n if it turns out more user friendly and people seem to get on with it more and find it more fun (flappy bird for example) your onto a winner. I mean, someone invented electricity but someone would of found out about it eventually but the bloke whos not on alive anymore still recieves all the credit for it, now its evolved.

Nearly all simular tutorials by different people use the tick method on top of the fps algorithm, from a beginners point of view, I’d say thats how Java game programming evolves in general, just like an electro house or dubstep producer using sample packs from third party sources.

I don’t want to start a debate, I’ve not used this forum very long. It’s all been so welcoming and very helpful so far, its helped me improve but I don’t want you to take this the wrong way but your responses seem a little grumpy from what I’ve seen around the forum.

Everything is a remix, you’re certainly right about that. :wink:

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not trying to state that I have a problem with him using Notch’s code. I just think he could’ve given him more credit and told people at the beginning of the series that he was using his code. He doesn’t say anything about it until way later in the series after getting spammed by people in the comments about it. It would’ve been much nicer if at the beginning of the series he actually told people what game they were going to imitate and how they’re going to go about approaching it. If he said something along the lines of this, “We’re going to use Notch’s code as a base for this tutorial, you can find it at GitHub in the link in the description. We’re going to be using this game as a ‘model’ for our series.” then I wouldn’t have had many problems with it.

Now back on to the actual topic.

You might be able to use generate some of the images you’re talking about on your own provided that you know the algorithms and formulas required. If you’re only looking for tutorials you’re gonna have to look around a bit.

There are quite a few Java2D tutorials for things like the Mandelbrot set as you’ve mentioned earlier though. Finding good video tutorials is an order of magnitude harder than finding text tutorials, so make sure to do a lot of googling.

• Jev

Thanks for the excellent response and agreed on the presentation/intro, also, when starting his videos he goes on to much about his life mostly, then your itching to get on with it - I like to download the YT videos so I have more control on the pausing, double screen issues etc. So when your watching one after another, he should of thought about this in the first place for people downloading them for future reference, they’d be worthless putting onto your project drive for that purpose because you’d be hearing ‘his missis has just had a fight with his mum over the cat she ran over on a night out when he was hungover in town the other day’

On your reponse regrading the timers, you might be able to help me out here. You don’t sound so bad now you’ve shed a bit more detail, I’m new to this so can be awkward… On the timers when you mentioned animation how the hell does a BufferedImage created a whirl of pixels when chernos not created a paint method? All he did was create a bufferedimage in memory by the look of it… Best example would be looking at that video I posted above, once I’ve cracked how to view pixels from the BufferedImage then I can use these timers we mentioned to create cool stuff, I made a post the other day richy and gibbo helped us with but that was packing pixels into an interger… But cherno seems to have created pixels straight from the bufferedImage and put it into an array then timed/looped it to create what he did in the video.

If you could shed some light on this that’d be great and that’d be the topic solved, as from then all I’d need to do is look up formulas and port the code if this makes sense… from things like bufferedimage rather than paint.drawLine etc

Hope this makes sense

EDIT: I forgot to add, how hes displaying coloured pixels from bufferedimage that is, any small example code would be greatful, just in one method so I could understand it…