Age is just a number....

It should not matter. But it does… :emo:

Hahaha I’m 17. My quote was quite an obvious give-away that I’m quite young :slight_smile:

I’ve been programming since I was 13, when I taught myself Java.

Sorry, I can’t help it :frowning:

Cheers…

@Sickan

Hey don’t fret! It provides me with excellent will-power and efficiency to make up lost time ;D.

29 years here. Started with C 15 years ago, programming a text-based RPG, but quit after 2 years due to life plunging to shit. The game got pretty nice, though. All in one huge class with loads of goto’s…I miss goto’s.
All is better now, and I’ve been programming in Java for about 18 months, since I started taking Computer Science at the university. I was absolutely thrilled to find this forum with its amazing roster of good people. For the first month or so I could’ve kissed ra4king for being so helpful and full of patience, while I was also secretly having an urge to pummel his face in with assorted blunt objects for being so much better than me, at almost half my age. But I got over it. I’m just happy that so many young minds have found something useful to do with their lives, instead of constant binge-drinking and doing various drugs (like I did).

I’d wish I could’ve known how much I loved programming when I was younger, but there’s no reason to spend time being pissed about that now. I can still become great at what I love, especially with the help of all the young whipper-snappers here to guide me through the new stuff ^^

Oh, and as far as I remember the first game I ever played was Ghostbusters on Commodore 64 or something. I just remember it was a tape. We had to rewind it to play, and saving was a nightmare. I was a Sega-guy, and the first game I bought with my own money was Sonic 3 :slight_smile:

Lol. You never know :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

:-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/28103624.jpg

:wink:

I’m 16, started learning java 1 year and 1 and a half months ago. Been dipping in and out of game development. Spent most of my programming time making plugins for Minecraft with Bukkit

Happy birthday sproingie!

Hahah, oh you two rascals :stuck_out_tongue:

May I recommend staying away from things you spray into your arms or snort up your nose? Oh, and GHB, E and shrooms, too. They will ruin your brain. So will alcohol, only at a slower rate. I’ve seen it all happen to various friends. I’m super duper cereal. Don’t let it happen to you.

You’ll actually get better, natural highs from setting yourself minor goals and achieving them. So go be happy every time you complete some small functionality in your game, and remember how 80% of the world would never understand what you’re doing, no matter how layman you go with your explanation :smiley:

Man I sound old…but nevertheless it’s true, and I’d wish I would’ve known back when I was 15. Then I wouldn’t feel like now I have to make up for wasting 6 years of my life.

Oh, and happy birthday, sproingie!!

39!

Cas :slight_smile:

27! Commonly known as a borderline old fart.

It’s too bad that people suffering from these side effects, do not realize it. The brain is hardly able to evaluate its own performance. That’s also the reason everybody deems himself smart enough (or above average intelligent., but that’s another story).

Amen

17, 3 months till I am 18 though :smiley:

Started programming in 2010 when my computer class begun to show the super basics of programming with visual basic, already wanted to do programming before doing visual basic but it kicked me off and wanted me to learn.

2011 I attempted to mod minecraft, started to understand Java a little bit. Not to far into 2011 I got offered by my teacher to do a pre-uni course in Software Engineering, did the first year of software engineering (the exams and assignments were exactly the same as the uni students, so the course was the same) the good thing about it was it was in Java too, so my basic knowledge helped.

Never done drugs, never smoked, never drank alcohol, well not more than one beer.
With alcohol its like, people bring out their stupidest, most dangerous and most senseless sides out. I always thought that - why would I take poison to dim my intellect, when that actually the thing I value most.
And I hate alcoholic things, with the exception of like cocktails, but those are available without alcohol (so choose with or without poison?)
So I’m quite boring in that sense I guess =P

here is my story of programming(kept short): My father once opened a exe or whatever in notepad and I saw all the ASCII garbage madness, so I asked
“whats that stuff?” and he said “its the language of the computer, and people study it at university for years to learn it.”(which isn’t quite accurate of course, but its very much how you would say it simplified I guess)
so I was like “wooaa. that. I wanna do that.”
fast forward to when I was like 12, my friend calls me and says “I know this HTML thing… you can write lines in the notepad and the browser DOES it” and I was like “WHAT? tell me how !”, a year later I learned Visual Basic 6…

I like ctomni231’ avatar - playing Disgaea 1 now, because its the only one I haven’t played before…

and I wanna watch Skyfall - who would know that they would actually come out with a kick ass Bond movie after quantum of solace ?

I wonder if this increases my rambling rating

… hmm it seems that we’re not a lot above 30 … I’m 32 :slight_smile:

Happy birthday sproingie!

Alcohol’s not my favorite. But I’ve never drank very much.

N.B.
This dataset is obviously rather limited to the subset of members that actually filled out their birth date, which might be related to age, and therefore by definition skewed.

[tr][td]Age[/td][td]Frequency[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]snip[/td][td]snip[/td][/tr]

[move]Happy Birthday Sproingie!![move]

:open_mouth: Nice statistics riven. Even notch is 33 8D