A different Cube World

Well I have no idea if you are going to actually add text to the post, because currently there is only a picture, so I’m going to ask; what is this?

It’s a voxel renderer that renders voxels in 2D! Similar to kevglas’ recent pseudo-voxel renderer and Voxatron flash

I just implemented liquids;

Also known as “pixels”.

However they are in 3D space

This could be good :wink:

Oh god… so wait let me get this straight. You are using three dimensions correct? I.E. x, y, z? Or are you using an isometric setup? Because what you are doing currently looks isometric, in which case, they are pixels, or tiles as I like to call them. Voxels are just 3D pixels… sort of.

It’s 2D voxels, not 3D pixels.

3D pixels are 2D objects rendered in 3D.

2D voxels are 3D objects rendered in 2D.

That looks awesome!
And I thought my voxel renderer was cool… :frowning:

I’m interested in a video, I’d like to see the water’s physics.

How the fuck does the system I used look isometric, seriously;

Above is isometric, and it’s on the Voxel page of Wikipedia, with the subtext “A series of voxels in a stack with a single voxel shaded”

Isometric isn’t 2D but the result is. You can have isometric blocks (volumes) stacked on top of eachother or near eachother so it allows you to have volume representations in 3D space. It wouldn’t matter if you rendered isometric in 2D tiles or 3D with ortho display - they are all voxels.

@DeadlyFugu
I might be able to make one next weekend, I don’t have much time weekdays

rotate by 45° along the up axis, and you’ll still have an isometric setup.
It’s a terminology. Afaik the Pokemon graphics were called isometric, too, for example.

[quote]rotate by 45° along the up axis, and you’ll still have an isometric setup.
[/quote]
uwotm8? Pokémon games are not isometric, they are front-on oblique projected

Well I for one think it’s cool. Nice one @Quarry.

Hi, that looks really cool. Have you also seen voxeltron? It also reminds me of those sandbox sand games. 3d rendered in 2d is interesting. FEZ explored that. Will keep looking for your updates.

It’s voxatron and I have, one of the projects that made me interested in this is its flash version (as you can see in the OP)

I’m not really sure what I want to do with this but I certainly will explore it further

Source code?

I’m not exactly sure which version this is but here you go

https://bitbucket.org/Quarynn/2dvoxel

THANK YOU!