3D Turnbased Roguelike (LWJGL)

Yeah the physics in myth were impressive for the time, and even now. I remember one time blowing up a Ghol with one dwarf, and watching his sickle fly across the screen, slice a dwarf who was getting set to throw a grenade, who dies, drops all his satchels and a live grenade, and promptly blows himself and the rest of his unit up. Shrapnel could be a real menace sometimes >:(

Hi, thank you for that suggestion… Had a look and I think I will get it. Also Morgan I’m going to try your game again and I’ll post you some feedback on how it runs.

That does sound a good endorsement! Thank you both for that.

Digging the voxel art by the way.

Thank you for that. :slight_smile:

Update:

Not had time to do much, but implimented raycast lighting, added pillers, and water.

Still fixing some generation bugs in them map, and started working on GUI
Need to refine the lighting shadow alitte to remove a few aberations.

JUst looked at this, and Thought it to be an appropriate link to procedurally generated dungeons.

I’ve also upload a video of GUI implementation for this project, but the videos a bit dark and all over the place! The GUI map now works!

spVIs6A0xQ0

I’m going to overhaul the visuals next.

JUst looked at this, and Thought it to be an appropriate link to procedurally generated dungeons.

I’ve also upload a video of GUI implementation for this project, but the videos a bit dark and all over the place! The GUI map now works!

spVIs6A0xQ0

I’m going to overhaul the visuals next.

I must say, this project looks amazing.

I saw your videos and thought to myself, “This is a game I would love to play”.
Great work, can’t wait to see what comes for the future. Good luck! ;D

I must say, this project looks amazing.

I saw your videos and thought to myself, “This is a game I would love to play”.
Great work, can’t wait to see what comes for the future. Good luck! ;D

Looks like strong progress. I like the top-down isometric views in particular, with the sense of ambience coming from the lighting.

Hi,

Looking really, really good this :wink:

Are you using shaders for this or fixed pipeline?

Thanks,
Steve

Looks like strong progress. I like the top-down isometric views in particular, with the sense of ambience coming from the lighting.

Hi,

Looking really, really good this :wink:

Are you using shaders for this or fixed pipeline?

Thanks,
Steve

@Kpars Thank you for your positive comments :slight_smile:

Thank you for that, originally It was only going to be first person, but after this comment I have considered the merrits of this and think I will include a 3rd person view. I could do more with that with regards to being able to select squares for movment that you couldnt see in 1st person. Also It would be more like a board game… so thanks for that.

I am using a fixed pipline, no shaders. All lighting is pre-calculated. At the moment it uses simlple raycasting, but I might increase the resolution of this. The main idea for this is I wanted to use lots of lights, with shadows.

Update:

I have restarted the generator after bing inspired by:

I have made a partitial implimention of this. Working on the rest of it. I have also took this opertunity to change my room data structure to better develop the 3d element of the dungeon.

VLyIIPT92Yw

One the generator is complete I will post a working version of it online :slight_smile:

@Kpars Thank you for your positive comments :slight_smile:

Thank you for that, originally It was only going to be first person, but after this comment I have considered the merrits of this and think I will include a 3rd person view. I could do more with that with regards to being able to select squares for movment that you couldnt see in 1st person. Also It would be more like a board game… so thanks for that.

I am using a fixed pipline, no shaders. All lighting is pre-calculated. At the moment it uses simlple raycasting, but I might increase the resolution of this. The main idea for this is I wanted to use lots of lights, with shadows.

Update:

I have restarted the generator after bing inspired by:

I have made a partitial implimention of this. Working on the rest of it. I have also took this opertunity to change my room data structure to better develop the 3d element of the dungeon.

VLyIIPT92Yw

One the generator is complete I will post a working version of it online :slight_smile:

Looking over that reddit thread, the algorithm sounds quite interesting, and I’d like to see some efficient implementations of delaunay triangulation/minimal spanning trees (seeing I’ve never done it myself. Hell, I hadn’t even heard of the former before.)

I guess I’d just say that guaranteeing and identifying loops in the room network would be especially useful, if you want to allow multiple approaches for dealing with a given mob of monsters. Looks cool in any case.

Looking over that reddit thread, the algorithm sounds quite interesting, and I’d like to see some efficient implementations of delaunay triangulation/minimal spanning trees (seeing I’ve never done it myself. Hell, I hadn’t even heard of the former before.)

I guess I’d just say that guaranteeing and identifying loops in the room network would be especially useful, if you want to allow multiple approaches for dealing with a given mob of monsters. Looks cool in any case.

Update:

Finally finished the minimum spanning tree, got distracted by getting an android tablet and libgdx!

as Morgan Allen commented, the MST does ensure all rooms will be connected. Other connections will also be formed to add variation.
Next job, rastersizing the map, and then make the corridors, add lights, and raycast the lighting (hopefully with a new raycasting engine from my brother Regdon)

The images show the diverse room structure - which was lacking in my original idea. The rooms will vary in height and have stairs connecting them. Walls have not be generated at this stage.
I have also took this opportunity to change the class structure of my game tomake adding content to rooms easier.

Update:

Finally finished the minimum spanning tree, got distracted by getting an android tablet and libgdx!

as Morgan Allen commented, the MST does ensure all rooms will be connected. Other connections will also be formed to add variation.
Next job, rastersizing the map, and then make the corridors, add lights, and raycast the lighting (hopefully with a new raycasting engine from my brother Regdon)

The images show the diverse room structure - which was lacking in my original idea. The rooms will vary in height and have stairs connecting them. Walls have not be generated at this stage.
I have also took this opportunity to change the class structure of my game tomake adding content to rooms easier.

I don’t know if anyone noticed, but the title of this thread is quite fitting. This is a nice rouge-like game with all this red :slight_smile:

:slight_smile: I would never have considered that!

I thought any comments would be that they had noticed the error in the MST. Every time I look at it I’m seeing red - always some problem to fix!

I think the hero of the game may be called Vin - like say in ‘Vin’ Deisel