would any of you guys be offended if

my next game is like Mortal Kombat but with Biblical characters? I want to make a fighting game and I thought that would be kind of a cool concept. Like Noah’s special move would be two animals hitting the other player from each side.

lol I’d play that game

Ok that’s one vote lol.

Actually a great angle - hits a particular niche that’s not often served. Might even spark a bit of controversy which is always good.

Cas :slight_smile:

Sounds great. Wouldn’t it be a bit one-sided though, i.e. the son of god being immortal etc…? I can’t think of any other biblical characters with superpowers. Unless you’re including the devil, angels etc…

This is a great idea! I think you should roll with it.

What, you mean like this?

i9IX9P4Ugi8

(based on a pretty awesome short film)

You’ll probably get some people that are offended, but it’s not like they are your target audience anyway.

If you’re going back to Noah you may as well bring in aspects of all the Abrahamic religions. I look forward to the bonus level where you get to fight the prophet Muhammad. Cartoons of Muhammad are a great way to get extra publicity! :wink:

Only if muhammad is a character :slight_smile: Game will blow up, guaranteed.
[sup]Though maybe not in the way you want.[/sup]

Lol I dunno if I can do Muhammad :point: However, I was thinking about doing it, but having him just be invisible, so it would be equally as hard for each player. But still I dont think I should, just in case.

I love the idea :slight_smile: like prince mentioned any controversy created over the game would simply mean more publicity for you. Go for it!

Ok I’ll do it, but no Muhammad. I got Noah, David, and Moses so far (cuz I can think of cool special moves for them). Still thinking about the others. Maybe I’ll put in Jesus and have him have 2 lives instead of one.

You nailed it… ;D

Biblical characters that’d be cool to have in a Mortal Kombat style game… Off the top of my head:

• Eve: Apples and Snakes
  • Adam: Rib throwing!
  • Samson: Long luscious hair
  • Goliath: BIG
  • Kind David: Slingshot mastery
  • Virgin Mary: Blood Tears (although Isaac might complain)
  • Isaac: Bondage + Murderous father

Not to mention Angels (including Lucifer), the Three Wise Men (portrayed as Wizards in many cultures, so you can go nuts with their moveset), the Apostles (including Judas), or even God (I’m picturing an unassuming burning bush as the character sprite).

There’s plenty of fun stuff in the Old Testament to go around. Angels get Lovecraftian at times.

As for Mohammed, maybe you can just add a “generic” Prophet, so you can be inclusive of the Muslim faith without actually portraying him explicitly.

As for Jesus, track down and watch the “Fist of Jesus” short film, the joke there is that Jesus uses his fish multiplication power for combat, it’s pretty hilarious.

But why not though? You could pit every religion together, and just like that triple your replay-ability. There’s only so many biblical characters that have distinguishable characteristics. Could be quite useful for unlockable characters at a later time, DLC, ect.

Furthermore, the sheer fact of including Muhammad would create so much controversy everyone who heard about it would try it. You’re throwing away a great chance to have your game played if you ask me :frowning:

In the start you’d probably get a ton of negative press. Those “PC police” scour the internet for anything that’s on the “offensive list”. And will instantly cry into their blogs trying to bury your game. But luckily enough for every one of them, there’s also someone that does the opposite on youtube; that’ll praise your game, and give you free advertising to hundreds of thousands of people.

Treat all religions/religious figures with equal contempt, and you’ll be fine.

Yeah but I remember that comic drawer that got shot because he portrayed Muhammad. At the same time though, I wouldn’t draw him, but I’m not really sure if it’s the same or not to have him be invisible. Buddah would be cool to do too.

Yeah, that was kind of the point of my comment that kicked this off! :wink:

I think the game idea is great, but people can get very touchy if they feel you’re disrespecting their religion. There’s fundamentalist nutcases in all of them! If you’re not prepared for the possibility of a backlash, don’t do it.

You should do whatever you want. But if you have to ask whether people are going to be offended, and if you’re really seriously worried about repercussions, then you shouldn’t be making this kind of game.

If you’re asking these kinds of questions before writing any code, then my guess is that the game won’t be made anyway. Get a general fighting game proof of concept working first.

FWIW this game has been made before: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faith_Fighter

SBPZGoGZ320

This also showed up when googling “religious fighting game”: http://store.steampowered.com/app/612930/Fight_of_Gods/

Doesn’t mean you shouldn’t make your game. But stop worrying about what other people will think, and put the work in. Good luck.

just watched osakuros video trailer for “Fist of Jesus”

for some reason, I was reminded a bit of this one:
I-hYq3Y9IoU