Worst OS ever?

My vote: Symbian!

(rant alert)
I’ve done some Symbian C++ development the last couple of months, but my god is it awful. It’s horrendously designed (think classes with hundreds of seemingly totally unrelated methods), frustratingly unstable and incompatible, and poorly documented (official code examples are known to often just don’t work or even crash your phone, if they are at all compilable).

Any other votes (+ reasons)? :slight_smile:

Bsd, had to use that for uni for programming.
Hate a Os that expects you to know a 30 character command to get a simple portable hard drive going. It was a long set of hoops also finding someone to know it.
Found it froze my apps at annoying times, therefore loosing work. Though I’m glad I was working in eclipse for some of the crashes.
There was a list of reasons why, but its been a while since I had to use it now. Now I have a laptop I’ll be using that for my work now on using windows 7.

I haven’t used Symbian, but that does sound annoying to work with.

[quote=“erikd,post:1,topic:33089”]
I (luckily) didn’t develop anything for Symbian, ever, but I have to use it on my W950i… I never, never experienced such a slow and unstable OS before :-X

This reminds me of my university.

They only use sun rays (thin clients) which you can use to connect to some Solaris server to work on. One time we had to work on a software project with Borland Together (Eclipse + some commercial UML plugins). I don’t know why, but Together didn’t work on these Solaris server, so they had to setup a Linux Server. But instead of connecting to this Linux server, we had to connect to the Solaris server as normal, which then opens a X11 tunnel over ssh to the Linux server. Finally there were 60 students, connecting to three Solaris server, which connect to one Linux server. It took nearly 12 minutes to start Eclipse and nearly 30 seconds to open a context menu.

Mac OS 9 pretty much sucked towards the end of its cycle. Windows Vista also sucks.

Most people who say so have actually never tried to use it…

I found vista fine myself, sp1 fixed most problems and now sp2 is in beta. But I wouldn’t want to use it on something lower then 2gigs of ram.

The “core” of Vista is OK mostly, no worse than anything else really, but the “shell” part - the file explorer particularly - is straight from Satan’s Book Of Bad Applications.

Cas :slight_smile:

You mean how it took ages to copy, move or delete files?

I think their unit test was roughly:

public void testFileSystemPerformance()
{
   // come on, this is supposed to work
}

I’ve lost a ton of productive time due to vista, it just randomly goes crazy on the disk activity and brings the whole OS to a halt preventing me from using it for a few minutes.

tis indeed an evil OS :slight_smile:

I was a big fan of windows 2000 due to its fast and snappy response times and the fact that it just let me get on with what I want to do, no nagging about this thing or that, windows usability has since gone down hill for me.

I have indeed used it, and it’s the security bullcrap that ticks me off. Mac OS X seems to be moving in that direction as well which is really distressing me, because typically their biggest strength is user experience. But all I’ve done on Vista is development and I’ve never had zero problems with permissions or security or popups or whatever. That sort of thing is a big pet peeve of mine, one of the big reasons I’ve been a Mac person so long anyway (This is a secure page, by the way, this isn’t a recommended folder to copy stuff into, by the way, etc. etc.).

But now on Mac any time I open something I downloaded from the net it says, “This is an app you downloaded from the net. Are you sure you want to open it?” Makes me want to crap my pants. This type of stupid mothering they’re making OSes do now because of soccer moms and old people downloading viruses is just inhibiting to anyone who actually knows what they’re doing.

You can easily disable that, if you don’t want it.

Depends on the underlying hardware. On a current system with at least 2GB of ram, it runs just fine IMHO. With 1GB and/or a lowly single core cpu, it doesn’t run very well.

Vista is obviously not the worst OS ever.
Bashing Vista is too easy :persecutioncomplex:

My vote is Finnix, a small Linux distribution. Although it
is extremely small (less than 100MB), I just can’t manage
to reboot/shutdown the darn thing without turning the
power off :o KILL HALT signalling + ‘shutdown now’ to no avail.

yeh this was on a dual core laptop with 2gb ram, seems to have gone now after i disabled a ton of services that come with vista such as system restore and a few other search related ones.

I’ve had the misfortune to deal with symbian too - oh my, what a shit api! - I hope it withers and die quickly and that android - with a proper jvm - takes over!

Unix based OS sucks. Windows FTW!!

This is like the Microsoft user mantra.

Me: “There’s a stupid paperclip telling me what to do!”
MS: “You can easily disable that, if you don’t want it.”

Me: “My words are all being autocorrected to something I don’t want!”

Me: “There are super irritating security dialogs all over the place!”

etc. etc.

Seriously, like any time I complain to a PC user about the needlessly massive number of dialogs that pop up in Windows and most Microsoft programs, their response is inevitably “You can easily disable that, if you don’t want it.” My question is, why not have the things an off feature in first place? “Easily” is completely relative to someone who knows where the option is in the overwhelmingly large number of menu items that are anything but logically ordered.

Okay, I’ll stop ranting.

I used MINIX before, which was another small Linux distribution and it was pretty bad. Although I’m biased because I had to use it in OS class, and I hated OS class.

I concur, my expierences with Symbian & Vista make them my least favourite OS’s in their respective domains.

I gave the 7ista beta a try through virtual pc, and ignoring the obvious performance limitations of VMing, it seemed just as muddled as Vista - not sure what people are raving about.
I’ll reserve judgement until it’s released, but I certainly won’t be going out and buying it like I did Vista. ( Cheat Me Once, Shame on You; Cheat Me Twice, Shame on Me )

Change runlevel to 6?

No it isn’t. It’s the OS which inspired Linus to start Linux, because he wanted to demonstrate that Minix was taking the wrong approach.