Wind Powered Games - Project 1

http://windpoweredgames.com/images/logo.png

n_8wDTpuwTI

This still very very very early in our development but i wanted to start a thread here that would update as i progress.

j.

[Update Dec 31 2013]

The game is still in very active development. A lot of time recently has been spent on the game engine im building as part of the application.
Raycasting and a simplified camera system have been my main focuses.

From a game perspective these have translated into a working build system. The play actually constructs their ship from raw parts they assemble in 3d space.

I’ve recently set a new goal for my self. This game will be released in 2014! that means i have to be in beta by the summer.

Forcing a time line on my self is a good thing. It helps to not get stuck on a problem for too long when your working towards a goal.

j.

[Update Aug 2014]

Nothing like putting your head down. Re-writing your engine a few times and giving an update a year later. :slight_smile:
I’ll post a full progress report later this evening. Hopefully with new video very soon.

j.

Well I’ve go to say, your rocks look very nice :slight_smile: What’s this game going to be, or what do you intend it to be?

Its going to a space Sim in which you harvest materials and build your ship as you play.

My “rocks” are very nice. :slight_smile: This run was just a test what an asteriod field in the game could be like.
Imagine multiplayer combat in a physics controlled environment… thats what im aiming at right now :slight_smile:

Im hoping my next video update will have some more content to share.

j.

If you programmed the physics yourself, it looks like you got impulse wrong.
If not, you probably just assigned too small mass-values to those rocks, or insanely large ones for the ship and it’s shots.
Either way, it kind of ruins it for me. :frowning:

physics is JBullet under the hood.

Interesting feedback though… right now weight has not been proportionately assigned… ie. the rocks are not substantially heavier than everything else.
The framework definitely supports setting the weights respectively… but in this instance of the simulation they all weigh the same.

:slight_smile:

[edit - corrected typos]

This is amazing! What other features do you plan to add to this engine?

features the engine supports so far…

• Loading .obj Models
  • Texture loading, caching and management
  • Model repository
  • Model repository with physics simulation
  • Custom component library
  • -2D text
  • -2D button
  • -2D TextField
  • -2D ImageBox
  • Keyboard and mouse support abstracted to a inputController
  • 3D positional sound playing using a playlist approach (openAL]
  • multiplayer network support with remote model repository and physics simulation

and thats about it so far…

next i need to build more game specific features…

the multiplayer implementation and craft build system are the next two items on my list. The craft build system is a big focus of the game so im sure it will take a bit do a first draft.

thanks for the feedback both positive and negative. I appreciate it all.

j.

Looks good! I like the buttons and text boxes. Nice and minimal. :point: I’m interested in your craft-build system, what are your plans for that?

I want the player to be able to add and remove “components” from their ship. Depending on the order the components are in and how they link together they will cause different results. but every combination has a positive and negative effect.
so build your ship as you play carefully…
:slight_smile:

Sounds like SPAZ and FTL! I’m very excited :smiley:

[update]

working on multiplayer support early.

i started on a point i wanted to show and then got cut off when an anticipated event occurs in the video… to finish that thought… when the 2nd instance starts you will notice new asteroids will appear in the first instance window. these are the newly created models the 2nd instance has pushed to the server.

KtIhLtkjX7E

[Update]

Failure is one of the best teaching tools… grr

Learned a hard lesson in the last few days about Physics engines and determinism.
Simply put if you want to ensure determinism (which i did) you need to put the physics processing on the server. (which i also did) … but then you find that amount of data needed to support updating models is likely to come bite you in the ass… so at 20ms response times… I was still getting issues in updating all my data.

This of course lead me to do some research and see that i had coded my self into an un-winnable situation in trying to implement the level of physics i was going for…

Now i need to readjust my expectations, take a step back and try again :slight_smile:

There will be more updates to come… this game will get built.

j.

[Update Dec 31 2013]

The game is still in very active development. A lot of time recently has been spent on the game engine im building as part of the application.
Raycasting and a simplified camera system have been my main focuses.

From a game perspective these have translated into a working build system. The play actually constructs their ship from raw parts they assemble in 3d space.

I’ve recently set a new goal for my self. This game will be released in 2014! that means i have to be in beta by the summer.

Forcing a time line on my self is a good thing. It helps to not get stuck on a problem for too long when your working towards a goal.

j.

I hope you’re still working on this, it looks like a really neat project :slight_smile: