Who's planning on entering?

Just curious,

So far I have seen Alan_W’s skirmish style game mentioned. Which looks good although I haven’t had chance to try it yet.

I will try to put an entry in (not a very good one :-[ ) time permitting, as i have a lot on at the moment.

I just wondered who else was planning on going for it?

Cheers,
Dan.

I’d love to enter, but as always it about how much time I can get in the evenings and weekends. I missed finishing my entry for the 4k comp so I’m a little worried that I’ll start this but run out of time again.

Andy.

Write a 4k game but take no notice of the byte limit. It might turn out to fit into 16k :slight_smile:

Cas :slight_smile:

Yep, those bytes soon get used up. I aimed for 10kBytes for the ‘core’ of SharpShooter and soon got to 16k after under-estimating the code size by 20% and then adding music, icons and font support. A nice overlay really eats into the byte count.

I might write another when this comp gets underway (time permitting of course). Possibly a space game, which is eminently doable. A Dungeon game would be a real challenge, but would be tricky to get into 16k & still look any good.

Alan

What kind of theme in the space game? 3d dogfight? I just don’t want to overlap ideas with you (mine will look too shoddy in comparison :)) ) I’m thinking 2d topdown frantic action. hmmm… or I could remake my 4k entry with more game play and extra effects…

too may ideas not enough time.

So we have a kick off date yet?

Dan.

I think it currently running, but with the phenomanal response to this thread I’d be worried there won’t be much of a competition? Is there more interest on the LWJGL forums or something?

Kev

I thought the contest would start when Cas decreed it to start?

I’d like to enter and I have a scheme to squish alot of mesh data into very little space before compression BUT I’ll have to massage the data so much I need to write a gui tool to do it (plus add some additional information)… So that’s a daunting prospect. Or I could go another route and NOT make the game I want but something less. :-\

Yes, 3D Dogfight basically. I’m also trying to work out how to do planets that you can fly right down to the surface. That’s definitely at the concept stage.

Don’t be daunted. I’d exactly that for Sharpshooter with no GUI in sight. I wrote a parser that reads in wavefront .obj files & squirts out a compressed binary format. I also did the same for other data I wanted, so it all ended up in one file, which compresses nicely. Here is the main() part of the compressor, to give the idea.

public static void main(String[] args) {
        CreateData d = new CreateData();
        System.out.println("Processing...");
        d.open("d.dat");
        d.numberModels(9);
        d.convertModel("resources/tree.obj", "tree");
        d.convertModel("resources/tent.obj", "tent");
        d.convertModel("resources/campfire.obj", "campfire");
        d.convertModel("resources/supplies.obj", "supplies");
        d.convertModel("resources/fence.obj", "fence");
        d.convertModel("resources/scout.obj", "enemy");
        d.convertModel("resources/trooper.obj", "enemy");
        d.convertModel("resources/playerprojectile.obj", "playerprojectile");
        d.convertModel("resources/enemyprojectile.obj", "enemyprojectile");
        d.convertMusic("resources/tune.txt");
        d.includeFont("SharpShooter");
        d.includeFont("Mission Success Failure");
        d.includeFont("Use the mouse to look and cursor keys to move.");
        d.includeFont("Left mouse fires.  Right mouse changes weapon.");
        d.includeFont("RETURN Key");
        d.includeFont("Level 1234567890");
        d.includeFont("Kill Scouts Troopers");
        d.includeFont("Raid Supplies");
        d.includeFont("BONUS Gatling Gun");
        d.includeFont("Press ESC to Quit");
        d.includeFont("Press SPACE to Start");
        d.includeFont("/ Alan Waddington 2005");
        d.convertFont("resources/font16x22.png");
        d.numberIcons(6);
        d.convertIcon("resources/scout.png");
        d.convertIcon("resources/trooper.png");
        d.convertIcon("resources/supplies.png");
        d.convertIcon("resources/gun.png");
        d.convertIcon("resources/musket.png");
        d.convertIcon("resources/gatling.png");
        System.out.println("Done.");
        d.close();
    }

Alan

Haven’t quite officially declared it open because we need some volunteers to publicize it.

Cas :slight_smile: