Which game idea should I go with?

I’ve whittled it down to two, both of them primarily multiplayer. Although I’d only be developing a simple singleplayer version unless I could find others to chip in.

Concept 1: tabletop wargaming.

Each player has a set number of “points” to pick an army. Each different type of soldier costs a different number of points, and can be given extra armour, weapons, etc, all of which affect the points values.

Then you play the game. Like an RTS on a zoomed-in map where you can see the whole map and it’s just one battlefield (if you’ve played the Total War games, you have the general idea).

Most of the game is about choosing combinations of troops, choosing where to place them, and then directing whole units at a time to move around, encircle the opponents, attack, etc.

Most of the implementation effort is making good control systems and decent graphics (in particular getting animated 3d models or 2d grahpics for each soldier, and animating them individually so that your soldiers don’t all move in locksetp, which looks really stupid).

NB: Working out the points values would be easy, I’ve done it many times before and worked with lots of different variants.

1p mode: play against simplistic AI (probably just tank-rushes the biggest enemy unit, repeat until match is over).

2p mode: pairs of players face each other.

Concept 2: Smash TV remake

Smash TV has a simple premise: you’re going to die, sooner rahter then later, through sheer numbers of enemies. THe game is made up of rooms, and as soon as you enter a room all the doors lock and literally thousands of enemies spawn all over hte place. If any hit you, you die. You have infinite ammo and jsut need to try and survive. There’s a set number of enemies that spawn per room (but usually you have to survive for up to a couple of minutes just for them to stop spawning!) and once they’re all dead the doors open again. You have to navigate your way around a maze of these rooms; one false step means two extra rooms to clear!

1p mode: obvious
multi-p mode: as soon as one player leaves a room, all the others are dragged with him (co-op play), or each player can visit separate rooms (competitive play). Aim is just to have the highest score by the time you die!

I like #2

#1 gets my vote.

#2 sounds a little bland, but then I’ve always liked tactical games.

If you do go with #2, you’ve still got to keep all the players in the same room to keep it interesting…do you shoot the monster that’s attacking player 2 to get the points, or do you let it munch on him for a bit?

#2 seems much more technically do-able by a solo developer. You could even use all md2 models and call it “Quake vs Smash TV” or something.

Gonna be tough to make it feel good after playing Mutant Storm

Cas :slight_smile:

[quote]Gonna be tough to make it feel good after playing Mutant Storm

Cas :slight_smile:
[/quote]
Yes, Smash TV was very popular. No doubt there are several other excellent remakes of it too. I note that Mutant Storm cites Smash as an inspiration :).

But few that are multiplayer, no?

#1 tactics tactics tactics. Ideally incorporating a learning AI so it adapts to what you did last time would be cool (but maybe way outside scope…)

You could give it an element of card game combat as well- combining units and equipment for new effects - quite a few japanese tactics/rpg type things do this and I can see it working really well.

PS going with the smash clone; it’s fast, exciting, full of powerups, and just about easy enough to do that we should definitely have a playable game in the timeframe.

The other game I’d still love to do, but it could take months just to balance the gameplay and fine-tune the UI to the point where the game wasn’t frustrating instead of fun. Too risky for the compo (although if anyone would like to get together and do it after June 7th, lets get in touch).

One of my FAVORITE all time games. That and Robotron define gameplay panic and requires pure game skill. :slight_smile:

-ChrisM

P.S. I rule these games :slight_smile: THROW DOWN!

I think that’s one vote for the multiplayer mode then :wink: ;D

[quote]#1 gets my vote.

#2 sounds a little bland, but then I’ve always liked tactical games.
[/quote]
LOL. Do you still think it sounds a little bland?

(download it now from: http://grexengine.com/sections/games/survivor)

Ah, Chris - we’re waiting for your feedback over in the Your Games Here forum (it’s called “survivor”). I expect you aren’t allowed to offer any comments until after the competition deadline has gone, but we’d love to hear your thoughts after that.

Still a looooong way to go with the game, but it’s getting there (slowly).

Really? Can you complete Cloisters and Dome (both in the “Temple” level) without using DarkProphet’s cheat ;D ? I can do Cloisters, but I’ve not managed Dome yet…

Unfortunately I haven’t had a chance to get very far through your game yet. I blame my old, slow reflexes for that. While I never really cared for Smash TV, I did like Robotron at the arcade back in the early 80s, so maybe there is hope for it ;D. After we get GroundFX ready for the contest, I’ll give a more detailed run-through. I’m looking forward to seeing more of it (I still haven’t beaten the first room :frowning: ). So far, it looks pretty good.

-Bugbear (formerly known as Magi)

p.s. Let me know when you get the tactical game done!

Um, you should be able to manage the first room easily ;).

Anyway, at the moment it’s too hard - Kev checked in some updates I wasn’t expecting (or else fixed some stuff that then made my code a lot more deadly in-game) and so the level is harder than originally designed :(.

But within 24 hours that should be corrected - mainly because I intend to have useful powerups in by then, which should redress the balance ;D.

table top wargaming - but do both they have good potiential demand. when you want to distribute them contact www.thegamesarcade.com