What's in a name?

Greetings, all.

Although I’ve been a member since 2004, it’s been a LONG time since I posted here. My career direction changed and bloomed, we went from one to three children and then recently moved from New Hampshire to Colorado and are looking to build a home starting this year. So unfortunately game development fell to the side for me. :’(

However, I am seeing improvements in my time that I hope will continue. Additionally I have been moving from primarily a Unix/Linux admin to an “infrastructure developer” role. This has allowed me to put in a lot more code time, which is a good thing. :slight_smile: Although mostly Python, I have been working my way into some Java efforts too and have even started Minecraft moding (for my kids, for course :smiley: ) to warm up my Java skills again. So hobby game projects will hopefully be back in my future.

As I look to become active here again I was wondering if there is an option to change my account name without having to re-register as a new user. Although I had used Beowulf03809 almost everywhere back in the late 90s and first decade of 2000, it was a location-specific name…with the 03809 being my zip-code at the time. I have been using a different name for my forum and other online activity for the last 5+ years and want to bring JGO inline with that. If I have to just re-register then I would do so but would be sad to see my (limited) history here vanish.

advTHANKSance!

I’m not an admin, but hey, welcome back :smiley:

Curious to see how a programmer father can grow up some children with learning desire… computing is almost everywhere right now!

Thanks!

My kids are awesome in many ways. We have always surrounded them with Lego and other creative options, play with them, let them explain all their ideas to us, read to them and encourage them to read, etc. We have a Mindstorm EV3 robot. Last summer I spent some of my time going through a “learn to program games in python” tutorial with my oldest son (13) and my daughter (11) and Scratch with my youngest (9). My oldest is more of the physical and loves robotics and 3d design and printing but is great at math, logic and learning a foreign language. My daughter plays violin, is an amazing artist with many mediums and is getting into learning computer graphics but also cranked thru the Python lessons a bit faster than my son (don’t tell him). All three grew up using Linux and (politely) mock their mom for her Mac not having a backspace key but still understand why that’s so much better than Windows. 8)

We bike, hike, swim, explore, use our telescopes and visit museums and the multiple dinosaur sites around CO. We play Risk, chess, XWing, Hearts and Exploding Kittens. My daughter is finishing up reading the Lord of the Rings and the family all loves Tolkien, Harry Potter, SW/ST and Babylon 5…I’m still working on the classic Godzilla and Kung Fu movies but they’ll come along.

Issues, challenges, problems, conflicts, heartaches, headaches, stress, sleeplessness, high blood pressure, no free time, staring at walls mumbling to myself…yep. All the above. No idea some of it was going to be this bad at times, but no idea it was going to be as great as it is too.