What does this all mean for us?

I’ve only recently become aware of JavaFX, and I’ve read some of the basic overview information. As developers already making java games, what does this mean for us?

The prospect of using SVG format graphics is certainly exciting.

Can this be a replacement technology for the clunky Graphics2D library?

Could a Graphics2D based game be ported to JavaFX and see similar (or improved) performance?

I apologize if this is already covered somewhere.

This is a good question. I’d like to know as well.

Since it can run on mobile phones running Java ME, I doubt it can improve performance that much. I mean, does it even allow floating point? I seem to recall the Java ME doesn’t, which suggests that Java FX can’t either.

It’s not that Java ME can’t use floating point numbers, the problem used to be that the phone hardware didn’t support floating point operations. In fact, from what I have read, anything that offers CLDC 1.1 supports floating point.

Cheers,
Brett

Currently JavaFX on desktop uses Java2D for rendering, so you probably won’t get much of a performance improvement if any over pure Java2D game.

However, you’ll get richer feature set (effects, media, animation, binding) and arguably easier to use API and language, and ability to run your application on different kinds of devices (assuming you’re targeting common profile) - desktop, mobile.

Dmitri

You’ll have to wait until an OEM ships JavaFX with a handset (that will probably have floating point).

The ‘is JavaFX better for making games’, that’s up to you/us and indeed the game. It’s a lot simpler to draw, animate and add interaction with JavaFX no question about that. The Performance is better in most cases because SUN engineers are handling all the Java2D magic. But if your working in the world of accelerated graphics then you’ll have to wait before that area hits the high-streets of the JavaFX fanfare.

First thing to try is make a circle and deploy it :wink: