Warpstar4K

What, you thought I was just going to watch you guys have all the fun? That is soo last year :wink:

After about a week of coding, I present Warpstar4K!

You’re kirby blazing across the land on your warpstar, the only thing you have to watch out for is the blocks that are in your way.

Controls:
Down Arrow: duck
Spacebar: jump

the levels get longer and faster as you clear them. the obstacle count in each level is level*2. How many levels can you clear? :slight_smile:

please post bugs/suggestions here. it currently weighs in at 4,090 bytes so space is tight!

edit: webstart added

No webstart? :-\

No bugs so far. Made it to level 6. Kind of addictive. You think to yourself “this game is to simple…I can make it farther…CRASH…damn…I can get farther than that…try again.”

now there is :wink:

Its pretty neat. Made it to level 13 :slight_smile:

Wow, nice presentation… :slight_smile:

Kev

Cute fun little game, good job!

wow level 13 - your must have better reaction times than I have, or your keyboard reacts faster.

I only made it to level 6 and that with many retries!!

I hate it, when I die lets say in level 5 and then have to redo (with many times dying) the previous levels. Could you not simply decrease the level number by one instead of restarting the game? Then it wouldn’t be too disasterous, if one dies.

very addicting btw. I like it that you can easily mix up the boxes, so you duck or jump at the wrong boxes, because they look so similar.

Arne

i can’t get past the 4th level, he has to have some jedi reflexes :wink:

I can’t get past the second! :o

* darkprophet goes off to wonder if he has arthritis…

DP

Bah, got 11, then jumped into a small floating peice that I was supposed to duck under. Cool game.

Great game, great presentation. The graphics are lovely - good work :slight_smile:

EDIT: Ehm, wait. I noticed the game actually gets easier after level 2, at least for a while - the speed increases, but your jumpspeed and gravity remains the same, so you stay in the air over a larger area, making your jumps far easier to time (milliseconds stop being crucial, so to speak). I don’t know how to solve this, but it is somewhat of a problem, although maybe not a big one. Another thing, though. I’d like to see different keys - perhaps arrow up and down, or W and S, or G and H… the options are similar, but in my opinion space and arrow down are too far apart. If you want them far apart, try Z and M, enter and space, etc. The arrow keys are meant to be used together, not just one of them with an entirely different key. Keep up the good work!

Cute game and quite polished! It was sort of fun, though it is much to hard for me. :slight_smile:

thanks for the feedback everyone! it’s the best way to improve a game :slight_smile:

the obvious issue most people are having is the game’s difficulty level. I have to admit I can’t even get past level 7 myself, so I’m guessing oNyx is running some pentium II or something to give him a reflex advantage? :stuck_out_tongue:

regarding the difficulty, I believe I have solved it. the difficulty is about the same in the later levels, but the curve towards it is much smoother. these are the changes:

[]the overall speed of the game has been reduced
[
]the space between the blocks is wider, depending on your speed
[*]the really tall blocks you have to jump aren’t introduced until the speed is fast enough to clear them easily, so there’s a bit more “ducking” in the first 4 levels or so

I thought about this, but this game is a bit of an arcade type, the challenge is to clear as many levels in one shot as you can. I’ll still consider this for a while, but I’m kind of hoping I’ll scrounge up enough bytes to implement a “you only have 3 lives” kind of system. decreasing the level seems kind of weird to me… because that level is one you already cleared :slight_smile:

thanks but I first tried using up and down arrow keys but my hand cramped :). Also, spacebar just seems native to a jumping command, why confuse users with some random key that they wouldn’t think of pressing (because hardly anyone reads intructions ;))

Again, thanks for the input everyone. For those who thought it was too hard, I invite you to try the new version! :slight_smile:

Its a k7 500 actually. But I dont really see a reason why it should tax the cpu at all… unless you did something silly for gaining a handful of bytes (like drawing too much, using something which isnt accelerated and/or using bad timing). :slight_smile:

[quote]thanks but I first tried using up and down arrow keys but my hand cramped Smiley. Also, spacebar just seems native to a jumping command, why confuse users with some random key that they wouldn’t think of pressing (because hardly anyone reads intructions Wink)
[/quote]
If you have the space necessary perhaps up and space could lead to the same action, jump? It would make the controls more obvious for some people (like me).

The game doesn’t move smoothly, even using my rig which is an AMD Athlon 3700+ / GeForce 7800GT / 1GB Dual Channel RAM. Perhaps there is something you can do about it?

And my last comment. The jump isn’t that nice, it’s more of a constant speed up then constant speed down thingy. In my opinion it would be good if you had it so that you jumped higher if you held the jump key down and keept the in-air trajectory a bit more curved.

The new version is easier than previous one, but there are little quick slowdowns that doesn’t appear before.