VVVV

Presenting my first entry to this year’s Java4k compo:
VVVV

http://www.mojang.com/notch/misc/vvvv_screenshot.png

It’s a 4KB de/remake of Terry Cavanagh’s excellent game VVVVVV!
It’s got a minimap, 64 unique screens, and a couple of surprises. =)

Play now!

Nice job, as usual.

Brilliant!

Nice retro feel and an amazing amount of well laid out rooms. I also like the unlimited lives, and the mini-map.

Can’t wait for the next one(s).

A very nice bit of work. I still have no idea how you do it.

Cas :slight_smile:

The key handling is absolutely horrible on my box. It misses loads of key presses and some key releases.

Linux 64-bit, Java 1.6.0_u15, KDE.

3000 plays already… hmm… ;D

Pretty cool. Very retro and fun. Well done. :slight_smile:

There’s gotta be some abuse here, one day and more than 3300 views… That’s crazy :slight_smile:

Btw cool game, congrats!

Very nice game!

Methinks it got posted in a minecraft forum. Key handling is broken on Linux (often stops responding for a second) - probably due to the broken way Java handles KeyRelease events on X11.

Like the graphics, game play is a bit frustrating (probably due to key handling).

http://notch.tumblr.com/post/356850440/vvvv

I think it’s more likely to be a threading issue. There is a reason that my Java4k template has such complicated code to pass key events between threads.

This is a really nice translation of the original game. So much so that I keep expecting cool chipset music playing.

Brilliant game.

Oh I found a bug.

Transition from this location leftwards, and you get placed in the floor preventing you from moving. (though you can jump to the ceiling to get unstuck)

:edit:

THX TERRY! :persecutioncomplex:

Regarding the key handling.

I experienced something similar when playing minecraft4k - a total freeze of all input , though it rectified itself after several minutes.

This was in Windows XP though, and has only happened once.

I think these new & bizarre input handling bugs are related to using the dodgy Java1.0 input handling mechanism.
It’s the only significant thing that has changed since last year…

:smiley:

Yeah, the high number of hits is because I both blogged it and posted about it on TIGJam (where Terry Cavanagh is a a frequent poster).

There are a couple of bugs left in there, it seems. I really don’t want to switch to a new input handling method since the java 1 one is sooo tiny. But I guess I might not have a choice.

hmm, you didnt enter minecraft 4k?

Nice!

I think i am a bit uncoordinated :slight_smile:

Personally i think i would rather have a much larger viewing area as i get a little woozy from quickly changing levels!

I reported key handling issues with a number of games last year too…

Fortunately, I didn’t plan to make a platformer or a FPS this year, so my coming entry won’t be completely humiliated by Markus’ ones…