Virus Effect (2D Platformer RPG Shooter)

There have been many updates since the last post, your thoughts are much appreciated. Project X

There aren’t any enemies yet, but once I finish adding sounds i’ll start working on enemies. Current v1.21

Cookie-service är ej tillgänglig - använd cache för att bestämma "Cookie"
Cookie-service är ej tillgänglig - använd cache för att bestämma "Cookie"
Exception in thread "Thread-8" java.lang.NullPointerException
	at sun.plugin.util.AnimationPanel.createTranslucentImage(Unknown Source)
	at sun.plugin.util.AnimationPanel.createGradientShapeImage(Unknown Source)
	at sun.plugin.util.AnimationPanel.initBackground(Unknown Source)
	at sun.plugin.util.AnimationPanel.preloadResources(Unknown Source)
	at sun.plugin.util.AnimationPanel.doPaint(Unknown Source)
	at sun.plugin.util.AnimationPanel.run(Unknown Source)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
java.lang.InterruptedException
Loading Maps/Tutorial.data map.
Thread didn't sleep.

I kept falling through the floor :o

It seems like the framerate got a bit low inbetween (had a lot of things going on here) and I think that one game loop was enough for the player to fall halfway through the floor. Probably won’t happen if I turn off all other things, but still something to have a look at.

I just see the words “Training Grounds” and “Jump over the wall” but am given nothing which I might use to jump over that wall with. I.e., no character/player/person whatever. Are you just mid update and testing it on the server or something?

edit: on second analysis, it appears the game is just locking up, the FPS meter stops changing.

Works fine for me! Neat little particle effects, good inertia on the ice, etc. OS X 10.5 & Firefox.

I looked into that exception Markus_Persson and it seems to be a known issue with Java applets, that they can’t seem to reproduce. It might have something to do with network stuff also. So there isn’t much I can do about it, :-\

I still have one more issue with movement, low fps cause high distances that the movement has to make up for so it goes through walls. Refreshing the page usually fixes it because its usually caused by the initial loading. But if you got stuff going on in the background it will probobly keep falling through the floor until I can figure out a work around.

On a positive note, I added a couple more sounds. I can now continue working on the other features and touching up the sounds and images. Soon i’ll be working on enemies.

I love all the feedback, any info is good info. Thanks to all.

Still locking up here - guess I’m just unlucky. I see the brown blocks of the level and some messages saying to jump over it - but no player or anything. None of the controls seem to do anything.

Sorry :frowning:

Kev

Well I changed some movement code, so maybe it will fix falling through floors. Works for me when I tried reproducing it. I added “P” to reset the player, just incase the player still falls through.
Also potentially fixed stupid mistake that could fix no keys working. I can’t be sure.

Updated some weapon sprites, still working on the flamethrower sound. Also updated screen shots on the website.

*Finally got enemies started! Check them out after the training levels.
*New sprites

*Current v1.28

I changed some code, and I would appreciate if you guys could run the new demo to see if it works. If it doesn’t run please inform me.

v1.29

Yeah, it works here… at first I thought it didn’t work because loading took some time (with a white screen) but after that, I could jump and shoot around.

Hey everyone,

I know this game hasn’t worked in the past for some reason. I found out that one of my computers couldn’t run the game, it gave me the same errors that showed up on other computers that caused the freeze. So now I finally found an error that got it working on that computer. So it should work now.

Please test and give me an update. v1.31

wrork verywell here, nice game. but very hard for me :-, put some sprites plz! then it would be really nice game.

Hey everyone, I updated the first post.

Project X v1.36

I added player sprites to the game and a few other changes to the game play experience. Most of it is under the hood stuff which is getting ready for a different weapon system, and an economic system. More details are on the site news.

You know have to create a free account to play the full version.

Just tried the Training feature now. Impressive work! The grenade launcher recoil feeling is very nice :slight_smile:

/ Anders

Thanks nice game

Got this on Linux:

[quote]java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: Bad version number in .class file
at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass1(Native Method)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(ClassLoader.java:620)
at java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(SecureClassLoader.java:124)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(URLClassLoader.java:260)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$100(URLClassLoader.java:56)
at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:195)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:188)
at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.findClass(AppletClassLoader.java:147)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:306)
at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.loadClass(AppletClassLoader.java:119)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:251)
at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.loadCode(AppletClassLoader.java:591)
at sun.applet.AppletPanel.createApplet(AppletPanel.java:723)
at sun.plugin.AppletViewer.createApplet(AppletViewer.java:1815)
at sun.applet.AppletPanel.runLoader(AppletPanel.java:652)
at sun.applet.AppletPanel.run(AppletPanel.java:326)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)
[/quote]

Thanks for testing. I believe the problem was the build you played was when I was messing with Xlint and I forgot to set it back to jvm 1.5. So it should work for you now.

There are still a few known issues. A bug with initial game play has been rampant, and i’ve been looking for it for a while. I’ll get it sooner or later. Another issue is sometimes when spawning in the room after some gameplay causes a similar freeze up. And currently the gun switching with same guns is glitchy, but this code is going to be changed anyways to prepare for weapon upgrades.

More testing would be appreciated. Thanks.
-New RPG elements v1.44

I’m afraid it seems the game locks up on me as soon as I click to start the training. I.e., all I see is the grey pillars of the starting area with white background, no guy in sight. The FPS counter seems locked too.

Interestingly enough, if I change focus away from the window it seems as though it can register this and brings it to the “pause” overlay (but then when I click it does not bring me back into the game).

It works fine for me ;D It is more and more interesting. Keep it up.

Thanks, will do.

Ok I figured out the bug that occurs when starting the game and nothing shows up but the map. To fix it you have to close everything that you have open… then play the game. Does anybody know why this would be necessary, am I using too much of something ram? cpu?

I use a lot of linked lists for all objects, effects, and maps. I also use the clear method when changing from map to map. Is there a way to track what the game uses, what is cache and garbage collect?