Video support in JavaFX?

Both Flash & Silverlight provide the developer with a means to add audio & video to their projects. I know that the preview release of JavaFX doesn’t provide any AV capability, but are there any plans to develop audio and video capability for JavaFX?

–Mario

yes indeed- javafx 1.0 has audio and video! its part of JMC and ok for media playback.

What formats?

Cas :slight_smile:

It looks as though JavaFX is using the Java Media Framework to provide it with media playback facilities and that means you get Quicktime and MP3 support. Of course, you can always write your own codec; but life’s too short for that sort of nonsense. ;D

–Mario

Apparantly, it’s using JMC (Java Media Component) which is a different beast to JMF. It’s going to use native codecs without native libs it seems - which will be awesomely handy :slight_smile:

Kev

Thank God it’s not using JMF.

Cas :slight_smile:

its jmc with native support for codecs, also a crossplatform one is in the works. i have wmv, mov, mp3 etc etc etc working here. it uses native lib’s so things are super speedy… i think i’ve said to much already :wink:

Is there a build of standalone JMC available anywhere yet? I’m really interested in what Chet’s blog says about being able to access pixel data - being able to spit that down to a texture for video in OpenGL would be awesome.

Kev

i dont think its anywhere out there as yet kev, the jmc team are working none stop to get things polished. i would say not to get your hopes to high, its a great thing we can play video at last in applets without the fuss. its the world of 1.0 :slight_smile: