Vector 4K game

Please try out my 4K submission and let me know what you think. It’s called Vector. Use the cursor keys to move and the control key to fire.

Webstart: http://www.javaunlimited.net/games/launch.php?type=jnlp&id=118
Page: http://www.javaunlimited.net/games/view.php?id=118

Thanks.

That is really good.
I don’t say this much but that is actually very well done.

Nice work.

Thank you.

im not sure i like the way the spaceships go through the space station, a nice start tho. :wink:

passed level 25 when I get this message on the console (I don’t use webstart):

“Exception in thread “main” java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space”

don’t know if it freezes to with webstart but I suppose it does.

machine: JRE 1.5.0.9-b3, windows XP Pro system, 1GB RAM

I think you should add something else besides more bases each time to hook the player to it

Thanks. I think I will try to rework it a bit. I just found a tool to give me a little more space, so that might be enough.

Your JNLP file needs to specify Java 1.5+ instead of 1.4+. Now, off to play the game…

Actually it doesn’t. The rule is that the judges machines will have Java 1.5 on them and that it must be able to run on 1.5. Having 1.4+ will allow it to run on a machine with 1.5.

But it will attempt to run and then crash on a machine with only 1.4. This isn’t about the rules of the contest, this is about the proper way to use JNLP. If your application requires 1.5 to run, then the JNLP file must specify 1.5 (or 1.5+).

cool game, reminds me those old star wars games.

having mouse control instead of keyboard would rock

My application does not require 1.5. It only requires 1.4. So in both cases 1.4+ is appropriate.

Thanks.

The problem with mouse controls is, as more starbases get added, the screen will scroll through a larger region. You will have to continually pick up your mouse to move anywhere.

You are using System.nanoTime(). Therefore your game requires 1.5, and as such only 1.5+ is appropriate :slight_smile:

Oops, forgot. Thanks.

Nice game, good job.

Thanks.