Unsolicited blank CD in post - huhh?

I got home today to find a blank CD-R addressed to me. Literally that - just a blank CD in a case with Verbatim branding, like you would find in a pack of ten at a computer shop. The company that sent it to me is “Data Media Ltd.” There is a cryptic note inside thanking me for my order and asking me to check my email for further details. Google tells me Data Media Ltd is a dormant company in the UK.

This really looks like a scam of some kind but I can’t see the angle. Any ideas?

No ideas, but that is really weird. I would not click on anything from them in your email.

Copy to an ISO and post it to mega, then send it back with apologies. :persecutioncomplex:

EDIT: Also the site looks pretty blank and has a sort of “template” look … shell company? ;D

Yes I was thinking that I might be being targeted personally, and this is an attempt to prime me to click a link in an attack email. Given the expense of mailing a CD from UK to Holland, I imagine it has to be a more directed kind of attack. I’ll probably never know because I deleted all my latest spam earlier today.

Ecumene: do you mean this parked domain: http://www.datamedia.co.uk/

It is register post, not e-mail.

@ags1

I think you can inquire about the package at the post office? You can ask them from where they picked it up, but I might just throw it away after keeping for a week. Might also be the case of wrong delivery.

I would most certainly NOT put that CD in your computer if I were you. It could very well be filled to the brim with every nasty piece of ransomware on the face of the earth. And you will not notice it untill your hard drive is encrypted and you have to pay to (hopefully) see any of your data again. Just put it in the blender or something if you are sure you did not order it.

I did stick it in my computer, but in a new computer disconnected from the network that I can happily wipe and reinstall windows on. It’s a blank CD.

April’s Fool? =P

No I really have the enigmatic CD sitting on my desk. I double-checked my credit card statement - no strange transactions recently.

Creepy, maybe it was from someone requesting data?

You know a modern virus can survive an OS reinstall right? (they have been know to infect laptop battery firmware, for one). I wouldn’t have done it, but then again, I’m weird.

Oops.

who the fuck cares, have linux running and do a full scan, ESPECIALLY if its just an old laptop :smiley:
but apparently you did scan

this is awesome. Some Circada 3301 shit

just be very sure its empty and not made to LOOK empty :o

I know I’m reviving an almost 1 month old post, but rootkits are pretty easy to defend against these days (hence the safeboot option on most motherboards). Also, any update OP?

No update, it’s just one of those mysteries.