TUER: Truly Unusual Experience of Revolution, FPS using JOGL

The connection has timed out

The server at poux.ufr-info-p6.jussieu.fr is taking too long to respond.

Link removed

What about the link above??

Well, it was sort of an improvement:

java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.sun.opengl.util.JOGLAppletLauncher at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source) at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source) at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source) at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source) at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.loadCode(Unknown Source) at sun.applet.AppletPanel.createApplet(Unknown Source) at sun.plugin.AppletViewer.createApplet(Unknown Source) at sun.applet.AppletPanel.runLoader(Unknown Source) at sun.applet.AppletPanel.run(Unknown Source) at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source) Caused by: java.io.IOException: open HTTP connection failed. at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.getBytes(Unknown Source) at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.access$100(Unknown Source) at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader$1.run(Unknown Source) at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method) ... 10 more

Funky thing was that the progress bar for the java applet went WAY past 100% done :o
It also crashed my browser so I couldn’t switch tabs any more…

Thank you very much. What happened when you click on “Run TUER”? This should launch Webstart version of the game.

IT WORKS!!!

go here :

Link removed

and click on “Run TUER”

If it don’t work, enter “javaws Link removed” in the xterm under linux or “start”->“execute…” under windows.

Please tell me if there is problems with librairies.

:frowning: It doesn’t work because of problems of signature. You will have to wait, I’m sorry.

My game using java webstart is now working!
My jogl.jnlp file may cause problems for 64-bit computers and some “old” macintoshs.

Link removed

I’m waiting for your feedback. It is slow because of raycasting as I said before. I hope I will satisfy your suggestions. As it is an homework, I will respect the objectives which had been fixed with my teacher but I will improve the game by listening to your suggestions.

Next objectives :

• remove raycasting
  • use MD3 models and rendering “tools” (lists, vertex arrays, VBO) to increase the speed of the game
    The address of my website is :
    Link removed

If Java Webstart doesn’t detect my configuration file as a jnlp file, go to command line and enter :
javaws Link removed

I’m very very happy to allow you to play with my modest and tiny game ;D :smiley:

Warning! The game may crash under Microsoft Windows XP! If it happens, use JRE 1.6 in order to solve this problem. It comes from a conflict with DirectDraw. That’s not my fault. Please give me feedback!!! ???

Works for me (from the command line) on XP/Java6. But were is the OpenGL part? These are still the same old raycasted graphics the engine on which you’ve based your game on was using. I expected it to use hardware acceleration… ??? ???

Works OK (but very slow) on Windows 2K/java6 . A few suggestions though;

1. Increase the mouse sensitivity - (rule of thumb: A largish wrist movement on the mouse should make the player turn 180’)
  2. Add WSAD as movement keys; arrow keys are difficult to use alongside mouselook.
  3. Add an ‘Are you sure you want to quit’ screen or window - I hit ESC (expecting an options screen) but the game just quit out!
  4. How about a crosshair? I found aiming quite tricky…
  5. Do all the floors/ceilings have to be at the same height? It would add visual interest if you could put in ramps or steps!

That said, it’s looking good! I look forward to playing it when the raycasting’s gone so it’s a bit faster!

Hmm well it works now, playable framerates on my faster computer, not really playable on my slower (2 ghz with a 6600gt, not really that slow) computer. The implementation looks and functions fairly well (although I wish the mouse could turn faster) but I have to ask, like a lot of others have been wondering, what happened to JOGL here? Is any part of this hardware acclerated?

Anyway, looking forward to the updates when you get it up to full (or at least much better) speed.

Hi!

Thanks for the feedback. The game is a very little bit hardware accelerated. It uses an extremely slow rendering algorithm called raycasting. When I put it off, the framerate will hugely increase, between 60 and 250 FPS quite easily, depending on your configuration. JOGL is going to help me in improving the rendering. I need a lot of time to give up raycasting as it is the main part of the engine. The mouse will work faster in the next release. The latest website version has been optimized to work with all browser. Bye. ;D

You’re right. Giving up raycasting requires me to rewrite the main part of the engine and I’m working on that now. Be patient. Now it may work without using the command line and if you encounter a problem, disactivate DirectDraw in your control panel. There is a very few things which are accelerated. I use glDrawPixels which is extremely slow too. Sorry.

EgonOlsen doesn’t read the source code or compare performance with Stahl’s version. If you use the original game in fullscreen, it will be between 2 and 8 times slower than my version. Then, I can say that I have improved the game even though it could be quicker.

The developpement of TUER will restart in a few weeks after my exams. Someone suggested to change the keyboard configuration. Then, which keys would you like to use to move and to strafe?

Hi

I would really like to have your MD3 model loader. Would you mind to make it available for download. I would be really appreciating that.

Thanks
Frank

Of course I will do it. As I’m very busy, if you need it immediately, send me a private message with your email adress and I will send you all. Nevertheless, it will be the standard version. I have not finished the optimized version which precomputes all interpolations and which will use VBO. It will be finished at september. I will put a link to download the source code tomorrow on my website if possible. Thank you for your interest.

The usual configuration is WSAD (W & S forward/back, A & D strafe) and the arrow keys forward/back and turn.
Good luck in your exams!

Is your keyboard in AZERTY or in QWERTY ?

QWERTY - bog standard…