Trooper

Couldn’t sleep so I wrote a game. Here it is:

http://www.cokeandcode.com/4k/trooper/trooper.jnlp

I find it a bit too easy but that might be lack of rest talking…

Bad news… it hasn’t helped me get to sleep!

Kev

Hey Kev,

Gave the game a go. The turret turns a bit too slow to be able to kill the troopers that land but i don’t know what type of turret its meant to represent so thats not a problem :slight_smile:

Wasn’t able to check the frame-rate, so i can’t tell you how efficient it ran, sorry!

I know how you feel with the not being able to sleep scenario. Basically every second night :wink:

Nice little game!

Hauk

Haha :slight_smile: Silly. Need to speed turret up 4x.

Cas :slight_smile:

Not bad - looks pretty cool when you hit the 'chute and then snipe the trooper with the next shot!

Bill

Managed to get 11800, I like the turret speed, it means you can’t just go 90 degrees left or right and kill the troops after they’ve landed since you can’t turn it fast enough so you have to kill them as they fall.

Great effort.

Andy.

My 4k entry is coming along slowly, not actually managed to get it under 4k yet.

Managed to sleep for 3 hours after just sitting in bed waiting to fall asleep for about 5.

Re: Turret Speed - I intentionally made it a bit slow otherwise there wouldn’t be much game… its way too easy as it is but I haven’t thought of anything to add to make it harder.

Your not actually meant to be able to kill the troopers once they’ve landed but I suppose I could support that… let the turret move a little farther each way.

Thanks for trying it out guys, I might even have yet another game by the end of today! :slight_smile:

Kev

Nice, I’m assuming this is a 4k game?

It is, but I wasn’t thinking about entering it to the compo. Just wrote it to try and get tired. :slight_smile:

Kev

fun and addictive~!

[quote]Just wrote it to try and get tired.
[/quote]
You make me sick! :slight_smile: It’s like the super models who walk around say “Oh, this? I just threw this on.”

Fun game, play it often on my iPod (one of the demo games), and it feels pretty true to that.

Indeed! Kev you are amazing at your craft :slight_smile:

Finally managed to get some sleep hence no new games. One on the horizon (along with Gravity Battle ever present progress). Unfortunately just bought Zelda: Four Swords so I may be slightly absent for a while :slight_smile:

Kev

Remember we’ve got Survivor to finish at some point ;). That should be good for, oh, about a month of sleepless nights.

At this rate, we’ll be just in time to enter it for this year’s Sun competition. LOL.

If you’ve got the energy for it, and if I’ve got the time…or vice versa

Incidentally, this is one of those classic games I used to play on a 286 that I periodically try to find on the net cos I miss em.

Suggestions from my fave version (CGA: white + cyan + magenta + black) are:

• points == bullets. Chuckle.
  • hold down spacebar == fast autofire == lose lots of points
  • come in waves, so that you get “repaired” a little after each wave

In partciular, the points == bullets was wonderfully evil. As things start to get desperate, the question arises “how much score am I willing to burn just to try and survive long enough to get out of this bad situation and earn more points?”

Another idea, of my own humbel making:

• repair crates : if you hit the crate, bang, nothing. If you hit the chute, crate drops, and repairs your turret by one point. Might need to make the chutes a little bigger for this to be feasible (or the crates smaller than a man)

Consider all points noted and to be implemented at next visit (probably tonight). Smart idea with the crates too… wonderfully difficult.

Kev

Re: Crates - whats meant to happen in the player doesn’t shoot the crate’s parachute? Do they still get it?

Kev

[quote]Re: Crates - whats meant to happen in the player doesn’t shoot the crate’s parachute? Do they still get it?

Kev
[/quote]
nope.

In fact, you could have the crate dangling from a helicopter, flying sideways. If you shoot copter, crate falls, you get upgrade. If you don’t crate gets taken away to someone who needs it more ;).

The point is that it’s a reward (one repair) for a skilful shot (hit chute / chopper / etc) with a risk of losing it entirely if you miss.

Ok… consider it done… no really. Its done. :slight_smile:

Couldn’t quite manage the copters… so you got balloons instead.

Wave breaks are around 8-10 seconds long. So if you don’t clear the sky then you’ll be fighting right through the break.

Hold space for a short burst of rapid fire. You have to release and press space again to get the next burst.

Points do now indeed equal bullets though the cost is very low so you shouldn’t really run out unless you get very trigger happy.

Feedback welcome…

Kev

Maybe X playing up, but the keyboard handler is now buggered.

My guess is that when you added the burst-sensitivity you made the keypress code go wonky, it is failing to register a lot of keypresses. Lots of times I hit space and nothing happened, ditto I could press and hold left or right and nothing would happen.

Interesting… I didn’t actually change the keyboard handling routines at all. A tiny modification to the fire logic which adjusts the fire rate but thats it.

Could it be X screwing up your session? Or is there definitely an issue here?

Obviously played fine for me otherwise it wouldn’t have posted :slight_smile:

I couldn’t get use to using the rapid fire :frowning: Kept losing out… I think it was the pause before it starts.

Kev