TrickShot 4K Pool

And I’m spent:

http://angryoctopus.co.nz/java4k/trickshot.png

Another 4K contest, another game that could have been a lot better if I had put the time in to polish it rather than starting with 10 hours left.

WOW! Awesome!

I noticed “9 ball, corner pocket” should say “3 ball, corner pocket”.

But I got to the end and loved it! Excellent job!!!

EDIT: I also noticed you ignored the Java4K max width. :wink:

I shot at the 1 and 2 balls a bunch of times, but couldn’t make them both so that was the end for me. :frowning:

[quote]I noticed “9 ball, corner pocket” should say “3 ball, corner pocket”.
[/quote]
Oops.

[quote]I shot at the 1 and 2 balls a bunch of times, but couldn’t make them both so that was the end for me.
[/quote]
In hindsight I shouldn’t have put that level first, it’s a bit tricky. Basically you aim directly in the middle and medium power.

[quote]I also noticed you ignored the Java4K max width.
[/quote]
Totally didn’t see that one. Disqualified!

Nice! I loved the shadows and the right click reset. Amazing for 10hrs!

But wayyyy too hard for a pool/mouse control noob like me. Couldn’t beat the first level :stuck_out_tongue: I tried in vain to press the ctrl key for a perpendicular cue-angle or ‘orthographic mode’ or something :’(

I really don’t get it. I put the mouse far away from the cue ball, to maximize the sensitivity of my mouse movements. I move the mouse one pixel at a time, taking a shot at each pixel. I never make both balls in.

[quote]I really don’t get it. I put the mouse far away from the cue ball, to maximize the sensitivity of my mouse movements. I move the mouse one pixel at a time, taking a shot at each pixel. I never make both balls in.
[/quote]
That is your problem, the power is determined by the distance between the cue and the ball so you are always hitting with maximum power which makes that shot impossible. Not the most brilliant control scheme I will admit, it means the less power you use the harder it is to be precise. I actually had the angle originally quantized to 32 steps but I thought it made it too easy and the free play ordinary pool at the end doesn’t work with it.

EDIT:

[quote]I noticed “9 ball, corner pocket” should say “3 ball, corner pocket”.
[/quote]
I checked and that one is right, unfortunately I ran out of space and didn’t have time to optimize things so I just ripped out the texture interpolation which means the numbers are hard to read and don’t come out too well.

I seem to remember looking for a black ball (I thought the 9 ball was black?), and not seeing one, but seeing a ball, which yes, could have said either 9 or 3, so went for that one.

Too bad. The rules are rather explicit about the dimension limits, and I have no other choice but to respect them else I risk a mutiny of 4k programmers “Hey, he could break the rules, why not me?!”, and nobody wants that :slight_smile: Should have published sooner for the feedback :frowning:

No need to panic, yet! I think everyone deserve a chance to fix minor errors, as long as the game itself isn’t changed. So, if you want you can try to squeeze your game into a dimension that fits. Might be difficult though, especially as it’s already hard to read what it says on the balls. Anyway, there’s your chance (1-2 days from now).

It’s ok, I’m not really into the whole competition side of things anyway. Just like the game-jam atmosphere the competition creates.

I might resize it anyway though, because it looks a little silly.

Really nice game, and for 4k! I’m impressed.

Resized down too 800 wide to comply with the 4K rules.

Great job! :smiley:

It’s only really missing two things: a key (which could go in the instructions) and a way to skip straight to retaking your shot without having to wait for things to settle and the message telling you the aim of the level to go away.