Treasure Hunt 4k

A simple game, find three treasures on a randomly generated map. Sea monsters are to be avoided!

treasure hunt 4k

The graphics aren’t great but I hope it’s fun to play! I’m curious what people think.

Still lacks a restart button. Will have to add that.

I really like the concept but I’ve never actually managed to find any treasure!
There’s a few low-cost tweaks that I think would help a lot;
Reset - essential!
Map - make the game freeze while you check the map. I found myself keeping the map open as I sailed to look for pattern matches and hitting sea monsters before I knew it :-
Dots - are they sandbars? rocks? Anyway, fewer, larger obstacles in those zones would be better.

On a cosmetic note, could you increase the resolution of the land? Smoother edges would really help the immersion value (maybe double the screen buffer size and interpolate?). Maybe some green dots on land for trees?

Nice game!

Please add the Reset fast.
I just found the first treasure and when getting back on Board, was surrounded by a dozen of sea monsters, waiting to kill me in an instant.

Edit: Found all 3 now, nice ending. Getting insane when becoming rich ;D

Sloooooow. It’s an interesting concept, but it ends up being snail racing with only one snail.

The game can be restarted now.

[quote]Map - make the game freeze while you check the map. I found myself keeping the map open as I sailed to look for pattern matches and hitting sea monsters before I knew it
[/quote]
You can’t actually see more on the map than you see on the regular screen. The map is for orientation. The sea monsters can only move in deep waters. So when you’re near land (and some distance from deep water) you should be safe to look at the map as long as you want.

[quote]Dots - are they sandbars? rocks?
[/quote]
They are icebergs. Luckily you don’t sink when hitting them! ;D The top and bottom parts of the map are arctic regions, so that’s why there are icebergs and the land is a bit whitish.

[quote]Found all 3 now, nice ending. Getting insane when becoming rich
[/quote]

It’s nice to be rich! :slight_smile: When your last treasure is on an iceberg you won’t be rich for very long before you’re very dead… :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote]Sloooooow. It’s an interesting concept, but it ends up being snail racing with only one snail.
[/quote]
Yeah, I’d like to add some more stuff. Like a compass that doesn’t point north, some world maps to find, and some trees, rocks or buildings would be nice too. Will have to see how far I get.

Hi, I also find it’s a good game idea.

After having retried many times, here is what I can say, based on my really poor gamer’s experience :

• the boat responds well to controls and has good speed
  • the human is really too slow for me
  • deep water is dangerous, so agree with you to not have a break there :smiley:
  • perhaps make your icebergs a bit larger so that can explain they block the boat
  • I spent too much time in searching a first island (and others too)
  • I think a bigger view area around the player, only on the map, would help a bit for finding island
  • when I found a place, digging was funny

Voila !

Thanks for the feedback! Will be useful for the next update.

I’ve updated the game. Here are some things that have changed:

• increased view area
  • increased speed on sea and land
  • increased terrain resolution
  • icebergs are bigger
  • added items, scattered around the map: 2 items that slow down monsters, 2 items that increase the view area, 4 maps that show a quarter of the total map
  • improved performance
  • hmmm I think that’s about it, I didn’t have room to add buildings or trees unfortunately

Hope this improves the game somewhat. Enjoy playing! ;D

I like your map generator. I wish my islands in “Raid On Java 4K” would look as nice as yours.