Trailblazer 4k...... A work in progress, but will be finished soon

Get from here…

http://tonywestonuk.f2s.com/trailblazer.jar

I’m working on more of the ‘trail’ and a few extras to make things interesting…Opinions?

Woooah, definitely need to tone down the mouse sensitivity. You could decrease a factor of 5 and I wouldn’t complain. Either that or change the movement to non-accelerating. Currently I can’t get past the first small bridge, I always end up swinging the ball left and right repeatedly until I eventually go too far.

Ok, mouse sensitivity turned down, though I’m not getting rid of the acceleration, I cant make the game too easy! Download from same place…

Turn it down some more ;D

Acceleration in this type of game is fine, but decrease the maximum velocity to stop “ping-ponging” from left to right in the hope of making it through the obstacle.

Other than that, nicely done.

Very difficult to get past by more than 2-3 gaps.

Game was running with very uneven speed for some strange reason. Made it very difficult to just time the jumps, and using touchpad to navigate was not possible, will try w mouse later on.

Ok, There is a few bugs!!.. This was developed on a Macintosh, and well, certain things appear to working differently on the Sun JVM!..For example, Robot.mouseMove() doesn’t seem to work, causing the impossible ball movement.

Give me a while, to fix these issues.

Cheers.

Mouse sensitivity is much better, but (running it on a p4 2.0 ghz instead of a core duo like earlier) it seems extremely slow now. Oddly enough it’s smooth for the first track of 15 blocks of so (with just the full straight path) running at about 20 fps or so but when I get to the parts where the line is really thin it drops to a slow enough speed I can count each frame as it goes by (which comes to about 3 fps).

Anybody else have speed issues?

Ok, Try it now…

Bugs fixes:
If 640x480 full screen mode is not available, erratic control of ball might happen. Switched to use window instead, and used SwingUtilities.convertPointToScreen to get the correct position… Would like opinions to if people prefer windowed, or full screen exclusive mode for this (or any) game.
Timing code was not working right - Fast computers might cause no delay in the loop.
Windows is quite slow at drawing alpha channel compared to the mac,…Unless OpenGL pipeline is active. Fixed by getting rid of alpha channel.

Download latest from the same place.
Cheers,
Tony.

might I suggest keyboard controls? mouse games are too easy if you ask me… and that would rid you of your Robot problems

oh, nice little shadow effect, didnt catch it before :stuck_out_tongue:

(p.s. i always prefer fullscreen games, but that’s me)

You are telling me, you got to the end? (well, there isn’t an end yet, but you got past the bit where the road that says ‘4K GAME 2007’…wow?!! U are good!..ok, need to be more fiendish in the maze building!)

i didn’t quite make it to the end (I couldn’t make the jump from the E to the 2). but I lost because I suck at jumping, a skill that wouldnt change between mouse and keyboard :slight_smile:

Nice Game. After about 5minutes, i managed to get to the G but i always loose there :’(
Speed and sensitivty is hard, but ok here:

Athlon64 300+ (Single Core)
1gb Ram

Nicely done. A few bugs, IMHO - every now and then it’ll miss a mouse click, usually at the worst possible time. Also, sometimes the ball jumps when you’ve already passed the end of the platform. Graphics are good, although I’d like to see the shadow all the time instead of just when it’s jumping, and if you have the bytes, you could make the ball look more 3D.

I made it to the “2”, but getting to and past the "0"s is going to be rough. Nice combo of both fine and reflex motor skills needed to play this.

Finished!

Jumping from the 7 to the end (yes I made the jump):

Hopefully different levels will be available in future releases. This is a good game, good job!

Nice game!
The only con for me is the mouse sensibility, too high for me.

Yes please turn off the acceleration. I can’t figure out how to get past the first level with the controls as they are now.

Couldn’t disagree more. The acceleration is what makes the game.

Just tried the latest download - please, please, please don’t go fullscreen. Doesn’t work smoothly on my PC (Dell Latitude D600 2GHz 1GB RAM). Also you seem to have turned the sensitivity up since I played the initial version and I agree that it’s WAY too sensitive right now. The way it was when you still had the “2007” in there was just about right.

The starfield effect is cool, really enhances the sensation of moving. The jump bars are also quite cool, they make a good challenge.

Besides the fullscreen, my only issue right now is that the ball NEEDS to be antialiased - it looks like crap without it :slight_smile:

Drop that sensitivity, I’m looking to get further in the game and see what else you have waiting for me.

Ok, the sensitivity been turned up, has somthing to do with it been run in full screen mode on PC’s… on my Mac, its still works fine. However, I have put some code in there now to halve the sensitivity should it be run on platforms other than the mac.

Also, openGL pipeline has been enabled, so it should work much smoother. Please let me know your results.

http://www.tonywestonuk.f2s.com/trailblazer.jar

Cheers.
Tony.

Oh PANTS!.. it looks like using full screen exclusive mode, with OpenGL, is very buggy…at least on windows!!..(My windows PC needed to be hard restarted twice, when I couldn’t get back to explorer!). So, I’ve removed full screen, for now.

Cheers.