[TinyJournal] Zombie Defense/Defence !

http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/6603/81075085.png

Hey folks .
This is the game I’ve been working for the competition.
It is an action/tower defense game. I won’t explain too much to see if the on-game instructions are enough.

The game should be fully playable and it has most of the elements I was thinking to have. So the gameplay mechanics should not change.

Any comments or suggestions are welcome .

Click here to play

TODO list :
-fix fonts
-include a few more different enemies and bosses
-bombpig
-balance difficult
-lifebar
-Wave information
-polish animations and some more graphics

It looks nice and the Game over scene is really nice. But I think the ammo moves too fast, and also the zombies are moving quite fast making the game quite difficult. Maybe some energy bar as well?

Good game, but the sound effects devolve to static when they start to stack up, and the applet doesn’t quit properly; the the sound keeps running for a good 15 or so seconds after I close the window or tab containing the game.

Great stuff, I like the combined tower defence/shooter combo. Animations are very nice and sound effects are great. One small point your ‘w’ character looks like it is missing a column of pixels. Game over screen is brilliant.

Same sound problems here.
Glitches aside, it’s looking excellent!
Simon

First, thank you for all the feedback .
I’ve polished it a little more and added a few levels .
I still have the sound glitch, I didn’t have time/patience to look it…

And I’m also paralleling work on an “online arena” version of it : send hordes of zombies to destroy the opponent’s base. This one is “full size” tough !

Very nice :slight_smile:

Great game but it started lagging hard on wave 7. Using 600 megs of ram, 100% cpu and sound issues.

Zambbi can you tell me if you tested this before or after yesterday noon ?
The reason is that yesterday I uploaded a new version which used WAV instead of OGG, and I hoped this would solve the sound problem .
If you tested before yesterday, can you try it again and see if the sound issues persist ?
Thank you very much .

Hello TeleTubo,

The game is jumping a lot when moving the character. Not sure if you can
fix this as I might think this is due to the way you keep the character in the middle
of the screen all the time …

Game Over Screen is really nice.

Pressing X after arrows pauses the game a little the first time. Maybe due to load of the sound?!

Ran fine on all of these :
Acer Aspire 5740, Windows 7 , Internet Explorer, jdk1.6.0_20
Mac Mini, Snow Leopard OS X, Safari, jdk 1.6.0_20
Suse 10 (Virtual Machine), firefox 2.0.0.14, jdk 1.6.0_19
HP Compaq 6820, Fedora 8, Firefox 2.0.0.10, jdk 1.6.0_04

Best regards from,

M.E.

Still a major leak. It got up to 600 megs again. But so far haven’t got any sounds issues yet, but I couldn’t get far it kept crashing.

[quote]Exception in thread “Thread-12” java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: 12
at zombies.logic.BLogic.addTower(BLogic.java:400)
at zmb.telas.STVTela.requestPlaceTower(STVTela.java:389)
at zmb.telas.STVTela.runLogic(STVTela.java:178)
at platspecific.AppletZD.run(AppletZD.java:201)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
[/quote]

Thank you zammbi for the tests, and for the stack trace .

M.E. , thank you for all the testing . The “jumping” screen is because I dont think its a good idea to have the character always centered, I think it’s better to have a greater sight of the direction the character is looking at , otherwise the enemies would show up to close from the character and the time of reaction would be too small.

Finally solved sound issues with paulscode 3dsound library.
Fixed zammbi’s Exception.
Tweaked difficulty a little more .

2 months to go now !

[quote]Thank you zammbi for the tests, and for the stack trace .
[/quote]
Np.

Seems you solved the memory leak.

I got a crash when playing but I couldn’t get a stack trace. When I refreshed the website I got this:

[quote]Starting up SoundSystem…
Initializing Java Sound
(The Java Sound API. For more information, see http://java.sun.com/products/java-media/sound/)
sun.plugin2.main.client.PluginMain: unrecognized message ID 42
JavaSound initialized.

initialized.
already iniz
already iniz
already iniz
already iniz
already iniz
already iniz
already iniz
already iniz
already iniz
already iniz
already iniz
already iniz
already iniz
already iniz
already iniz
already iniz
already iniz
already iniz
already iniz
already iniz
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: adding a container to a container on a different GraphicsDevice
at java.awt.Component.checkGD(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Container.addImpl(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Container.add(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.JApplet.addImpl(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Container.add(Unknown Source)
at platspecific.AppletZD.init(AppletZD.java:97)
at sun.plugin2.applet.Plugin2Manager$AppletExecutionRunnable.run(Unknown Source)
Exception: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: adding a container to a container on a different GraphicsDevice
[/quote]

Three months (Jun, Jul, Aug).

that was really cool. the sound fx add alot to the feel of it.
was impressed with the “slime/ghost style baddied” with the black outlines that pop up. they were really cool.

I got no real criticisms, but sadly one error.

Exception in thread "Thread-21" java.lang.IllegalStateException: Component must have a valid peer
	at java.awt.Component$FlipBufferStrategy.getBackBuffer(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.Component$FlipBufferStrategy.updateInternalBuffers(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.Component$FlipBufferStrategy.revalidate(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.Component$FlipBufferStrategy.revalidate(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.Component$FlipBufferStrategy.getDrawGraphics(Unknown Source)
	at pomtelas.desktop.TelaMaluca.drawComponents(TelaMaluca.java:59)
	at platspecific.AppletZD.run(AppletZD.java:218)

got that error when exiting browser window (IE Windows 7 Java 1.6_20)

Awesome game, it plays really well in such a small space.
It gets really hard around wave 7 or so with the green fatties and the black blobs/jellybeasts.
Great effect on the game over screen too.

Btw. you spelled the name of the game wrong when you added it to GameJolt: Zombie Denfese or Defence.

Really cool game - played it atot of times :stuck_out_tongue: I made it to round 7.
A great improvement could be if you made the pixels x8 instead of x4 - it is a little too small…

I sticked to 4x, otherwise it would lose a lot of details on the graphics :stuck_out_tongue:

By the wave 7 I made it actually impossible to finish it, since there was not much written after that .

Thank you all for the feedback . I have just submitted the final version, and hopefully it is enjoyable now .

It seems harder now :o
Only made it wave 4 :stuck_out_tongue: still a cool game though