Tiny Dungeons - WIP

Getting this exception.

Exception in thread "LWJGL Application" com.badlogic.gdx.utils.GdxRuntimeException: java.lang.NullPointerException
	at com.badlogic.gdx.backends.lwjgl.LwjglApplication$1.run(LwjglApplication.java:111)
Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException
	at com.badlogic.gdx.graphics.glutils.ShaderProgram.loadShader(ShaderProgram.java:194)
	at com.badlogic.gdx.graphics.glutils.ShaderProgram.compileShaders(ShaderProgram.java:173)
	at com.badlogic.gdx.graphics.glutils.ShaderProgram.<init>(ShaderProgram.java:156)
	at com.badlogic.gdx.graphics.glutils.ShaderProgram.<init>(ShaderProgram.java:165)
	at com.tinydungeons.rendering.FloorRenderer.<init>(FloorRenderer.java:38)
	at com.tinydungeons.tests.AStarTest.<init>(AStarTest.java:42)
	at com.tinydungeons.screens.StartupScreen.render(StartupScreen.java:22)
	at com.tinydungeons.screens.Game.render(Game.java:34)
	at com.badlogic.gdx.backends.lwjgl.LwjglApplication.mainLoop(LwjglApplication.java:190)
	at com.badlogic.gdx.backends.lwjgl.LwjglApplication$1.run(LwjglApplication.java:108)

Using desktop application.

VM: OpenJDK 7

Thanks for all the testing folks!

SHC, what graphics card and driver do you have installed? I guess i ned a fallback renderer for GL 1.5 or lower.

My Card : Intel Corporation 82G33/G31 Express Integrated Graphics
Video Memory : 128 MB
Driver : Intel Corporation 82G33/G31/P35/P31 Express DRAM Controller (rev 10)

Ah, that explains it, an integrated Intel card. I’ll try to add a fixed-function fallback eventually. Thanks for reporting!

Worked on steering behaviours and path finding. Turns out that having the monsters follow individual paths generated via A* and applying steering behaviours for separation and wall avoidance makes for nasty deadlocks. I simplified the monster behaviour considerably and think the current version is “good enough”, but far from being perfect. Monsters are a tad bit to twitchy imo. Obligatory screenshot:

Updated jars/apks, you can press ‘d’ to toggle debug rendering in the desktop version.

Desktop: http://libgdx.badlogicgames.com/downloads/tinydungeons.jar
Android http://libgdx.badlogicgames.com/downloads/tiny-dungeons-android.apk
QR:
[qr]http://libgdx.badlogicgames.com/downloads/tiny-dungeons-android.apk[/qr]

Works very nicely on my laptop, I like the movement of the skeleton type things.
One thing I would say is that the movement of the map is a bit awkward for me, also, perhaps you could change it so the map can only be moved a certain distance from the player. You’ve probably already thought of that or something similar.

Nice smooth game so far!

Runs smoothly on my PC, the camera movement is particularly enjoyable. I recommend adding a zoom in/out feature :point:.

It also runs flawlessly on my Galaxy Nexus.

It’s not immediately intuitive that you swipe to move the camera. I was half-expecting the camera to follow the player automatically. This looks like it could be very fun though.

I agree, I expected the player to stay in the middle and the screen move. But I like how you can “look around” a bit without moving the player. I have to admit I want the best of both worlds.