Thief4k

Hi everyone!

I had an idea for a 4k game last sunday and have been coding the whole time (well, almost, only when I’m not at work obviously). I think it’s feature-complete, and there are a couple of bytes left for levels.

You are a thief and your objective is to steal the rubies. But don’t get caught by the guards! (Oh yeah, the dark gray thing is supposed to be a door. It’s gonna be better in the new level layout…)

http://ulf.ofahrt.de/thief4k/Thief4k.jnlp

Nice, i like how the guards can’t see through the walls and doors, makes for some interesting corner hiding. It needs some better level design, but it feels like there’s some kind of interesting gameplay here. =)

Very interesting concept, lots of possibility here. Not seeing around corners is a really cool effect.

I agree, need more variation in levels. What was that gray line? The guards can’t see through it, but they can walk through it?

It would be nice if there was a “sprint” option, maybe on a timer, or you need to pick up something to be able to use it once (energy drink or whatever).

I fully agree, and the next thing I’ll be working on is a level editor. Hand-coding the levels into the source code is just not going to fly. ;D Better levels is #1 priority right now.

I was also thinking about a spring option, but it is going to be a tight fit.

PS: Glad you like it. :slight_smile:

If you can’t work sprint into it, maybe make the thief’s acceleration proportional to the mouse distance? i.e. if I want him to move slowly, I keep my mouse close to him, if I want him to go from a stop to full speed quickly, I twitch the mouse halfway across the screen… just an idea :slight_smile:

Edit: Just played again, maybe my problem is that his slow speed is just too slow for my tastes. here’s an idea - for every second spent moving slowly (below some very low threshold), he gains 1 “energy” point, which increases his max speed by a little. Then when you accelerate to full speed, every second spent above his base max speed takes away 2 energy points, dropping his max back to the base speed. This shouldn’t add too much to your code, and would be a good effect I think. Of course there’d have to be a limit to the speed bonus, maybe +50% normal speed or something. Doing a graphic for this would be pretty easy too… just a rectangle that fills up and then empties out based on how many energy points you have.

But it’s your game, so I’ll let you do as you will :slight_smile: have fun.

Update: I’ve spent way too much time on a level editor. But anyway, a new version with three levels is online!!!

There are still some issues with collision detection, and it’s a rather tight fit so far… so probably no new features.

Seriously difficult - but awesome to play.

Kev

I’ve just uploaded a new version with a new collision detection implementation.

New version with more levels is up!

Wow. Excellent improvements. Nicely done.

Finally finished the last level. First of all, the level design is excellent. Secondly, the cameras with the switch is a very nice touch.

My only issue now is that if I move the mouse too far (outside of the window) my guy stops moving. My personal opinion would be that, if possible, he should keep moving towards the mouse’s last known location.

Congratulations. 5/5.

As I already said in the channel… it’s damn awesome. :slight_smile:

This is outstandingly good fun for a 4k game! well done!