THE TRADING GAME IS LOOKING FOR PROGRAMMERS

Dear Programmers,

TheTradingGame is looking for Game Programmers.

All information here: http://www.teamups.net/teamup/859/The-Trading-Game

For all questions, email: thetradinggame@yahoo.com

[quote]As the one who got the Idea, I will be the Creative Director, I will assign tasks to team members depending on their skills and negotitate stragtegic deals and partnerships.
[/quote]
So you want all the work done for you, for free and without promised compensation? Good luck. You would fair better if you took on a big task, or tried to learn programming to help out. Don’t be the ‘ideas guy’. Be the ‘ideas guy’ who can actually bring his ideas to life. Start learning programming today so in the future you can contribute far more to these projects.

I just wanted to make a couple comments about this post and project:

First of all, this is a community and posts just to advertise are generally ignored.

Second of all, if you just want to manage, then your project will likely fail immediately. Projects have to start somewhere; you don’t just assemble a team and say “go!” and wait for profit. If you don’t have the skills to begin a project, expect it to fail. I’m being blunt, but it’s true.

Third, nobody is going to join a project without either a good foundation to see where the game is going and what you bring to the team or money.

Finally, I hate the very core of pay-to-advance games, unless the game is free and there are ways to be just as successful with a lot of time spent in the game. I think that it’s unfair to users who don’t have tons of money lying around, and the goal for developers should be making a good game, not making money.

So you want all the work done for you, for free and without promised compensation? Good luck. You would fair better if you took on a big task, or tried to learn programming to help out. Don’t be the ‘ideas guy’. Be the ‘ideas guy’ who can actually bring his ideas to life. Start learning programming today so in the future you can contribute far more to these projects.
[/quote]
Let me answer your concern.

No, I am not merely the “ideas” guys. Yes, I would love to programm the game, but I do not know Java. I know HTML, CSS, Javascript and a bit of Python.

Nonetheless, I did specify: “I will work on our website and do the planning. I will also assist individualy every team member in any way I can so that we may succeed.”

That is the spirit of a collaborative project: everyone does their part and the project succeeds.

Finally, about “for free and without promised compensation”. Yes, it’s called rev-share. And that’s how collaborative projects work and why I am posting in this section of the forum.

If you have any other question or remark, I would be happy to answer them :wink:

Answer to “First”: I am afraid this is not an ad, but an announcement of a collaborative project. The kind of posts we see in this section.

Answer to “Second”: Again, I do not want “just to manage”, I will plan AND actively participate in developement in any way I can (website, video creation, graphical work, coding).

Answer to “Three”: There is a good foundation and what I bring to the table is clear. Proof of it are the 15 people who already applied to fill the 5 positions available. And applications are still considered until the 14th September.

Finally, let me say I personally see this as a great adventure and the possibility to create an amazing game that we would all love to play. Not a “cash-grab”.

P.S.: The game is not pay to advance or pay to win. You can purchase some virtual currency to advance faster at the beginning. And you can buy cosmetics. That is not pay to win :slight_smile:

I believe (just like you I think) that ptw is a complete destruction of gameplay. We want to make a fun game, and ptw is quite the opposite.

Also, I want to thank you for expressing your concerns, since I think they are shared by many.

You permitted me to answer them for all people who think alike without necessarily expressing those concerns.

[quote]The game is not pay to advance […] You can purchase […] to advance faster at the beginning.
[/quote]
Not necessarily intending to attack you but…

[quote]I will also assist individualy every team member in any way I can so that we may succeed.
[/quote]
Then learn Java. You say you know a bit of Python, why not expand that knowledge? You are not going to help anyone by directing, that only works when you have lots of people who actually need to be lead. Give a programmer a list of tasks and a design and he can work for months if he’s the only one working on the game.

Good luck with your game, I just want warn you that those people who have applied are probably new programmers who don’t know much yet. If a sole programmer can create an MMO by himself then he deserves to be given a job somewhere. You’re not going to find anyone that has enough knowledge to create this entire game themselves while also keeping a job so he/she can survive because you’re not going to be paying them. Might be harsh but it’s the truth, unless you’re willing to compensate these people for their skills upfront then you are not going to get the labor you need.

Not necessarily intending to attack you but…
[/quote]
True. Let me be more specific: It’snot pay to advance because you do not need to pay to advance (What a beautiful sentence !). The virtual currency you can buy is a one-time package you can use at the beginning of the game to skip the hardest part. But it won’t help you more for the rest. In the end, those that purchase that package pay to play less, not to get ahead of others. I hope I was clear this time :slight_smile:

Then learn Java. You say you know a bit of Python, why not expand that knowledge? You are not going to help anyone by directing, that only works when you have lots of people who actually need to be lead. Give a programmer a list of tasks and a design and he can work for months if he’s the only one working on the game.

Good luck with your game, I just want warn you that those people who have applied are probably new programmers who don’t know much yet. If a sole programmer can create an MMO by himself then he deserves to be given a job somewhere. You’re not going to find anyone that has enough knowledge to create this entire game themselves while also keeping a job so he/she can survive because you’re not going to be paying them. Might be harsh but it’s the truth, unless you’re willing to compensate these people for their skills upfront then you are not going to get the labor you need.
[/quote]
Well, actually, it may sound naive from me, but I do believe some successful (retired maybe ?) programmers may be financially secure enough to have some fun and work on a game project like TheTradingGame. It is true I mostly got applications from amateurs for “Game Master Programmer” position and I know that was to be expected. But the game mechanics are surprisingly simple so their experience should be plenty to work with. The hard part is the MMO side of course. And on that side, we cannot have an amateur. We need a real pro. That’s why I am posting here. Someone with good experience, who believes in TheTradingGame concept.

On the other hand, I got extremely qualified applications from very experienced people for all non-coding parts of the game.

P.S.: I am learning Java BUT I started quite recently and will probably not have the necessary level before a few years. That is another reason I am looking to assemble a great team.

Thank you for your kind advice. Nonetheless, I believe TheTradingGame is an achievable project. More than that, I believe it can be a great success.