The Opus audio codec

This might be interesting to some. Seems like a pretty good fit for audio in games.

As far as I know it’s already supported by FFmpeg so it should work with YUNPM.

I await a pure Java implementation.

Cas :slight_smile:

This sounds awesome!

However…

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/standards.png

@ra4king
Put patent or law to it (“everyone in the world have to follow this, or burn!”).

No, that’s called religion.

Yeah, standards are awesome. Everyone should have one.

It doesn’t seem to add anything useful for us beyond what Ogg Vorbis already supplies.

If it is actually good at both speech and music, then that is a big plus.

(EDIT: Looking at the source…looks like a mash-up of Silk and CELT).

Well, nothing’s gonna become the standard if noone’s willing to try something new. And this doesn’t even have anything to do with standards. What, you want to make sure your game’s explosion sound effect is playable in a car radio? If it works on all operating systems and is already implemented for all operating systems (through FFmpeg), then why not?

This, however, is a good argument. :-\

Game’s are ultimately one-shot deals so standards are nice, but not really all that important. This could be interesting, but not worth thinking about until there’s a usable solution which can be verified to be worth using.

I can’t wait to re-encode my entire 50gb of music.

50GB!! :o

I listen to a lot of music when I’m coding :slight_smile:

Well I hope you have the stuff uncompressed as well…transcoding errors blow chunks.

I <3 Vorbis
My 2 cents.

Only on old, scratched CDs. Quite a bit of it was bought as mp3 format, or even ogg. Scratched CDs blow even more chunks than transcoding errors.

All of my oggs are in 320kbps though, which as I don’t play through a PA system sound just fine to me.

90GB =) mp3
And some of my friends have 100-200 GB :slight_smile:
Most of them 99% Dj sets, I love Trance, Electro, House, Goa, Some times Hardstyle, Psy :wink:
O no I forgot Jazz, I love Jazz and Lounge XD

Same ^^

P.s Sorry if I spam stupid messages, I love to chat, but some times I don’t understand what you’re talking about, that’s why I so quiet XD

I’m more of a FLAC guy, though I don’t claim that I can hear the difference.

I can hear the difference (I have a few FLACs), but I’m not so bothered as to want to re-rip hundreds of CDs.

And then there are those of us who just prefer to use Spotify, for all it’s goods and evils.