The Golden Age

cbYCbg6aIDw

Here is a prototype of my game, “The Golden Age.” You play as three different pirates, trying to stay alive. Most of the graphics are place holders at this point, as I wanted to focus on game mechanics before anything else. There’s a lot more I want to implement, but here’s what I have done so far:

The layout of the game world is built, which is tile based and for this game, pretty big. It’s actually the same world as Dodger Dog, which takes place on Fig Island, which is modeled off Port St Joe/Cape San Blas Florida and the surrounding areas. The water tiles animate to make the water appear like it’s flowing. The players also animate, but it’s kind of hard to see. The world has 7 towns, each with a “king” that is currently represented as a teepee (later the player will be able to go into the teepee and talk to the king). Each teepee has a corresponding fire. I tried to implement my own particle effect generator but half way failed so I just used a few animated sprites for that instead for now.

Players can jump and swim and collide with trees and other game objects.

Players can collect weapons and switch between them and use them to attack, and there is a little inventory system going.

There are two missions player can play and complete, one of which involves collected weapons.

There is a weather system, which is basically a day and night cycle, as well as rain/storm cycle with lightening. For lightening, I used http://www.java-gaming.org/topics/libgdx-lightning-effect-code/35553/view.html Thanks @Cero and @Phased for making that, it looks pretty dang good.

The player/party movement looks pretty good too! It’s very smooth. Thanks @SkyAphid with the help on that.

There’s a makeshift GUI. It doesn’t display anything really but at least its there.

PlayStation, XBox, and Logitech controllers work, as well as keyboard and mouse controls. (The controllers don’t actually do anything yet except print out “A button hit” and stuff, but they’re mapped and ready to go.

Player can use a torch which currently uses the same animation as the regular fire.

Things I still need to do/work on:
Make all my images be on the same sprite sheet.
Do art for most of the game.
Implement more weapons and missions.
Make collision detection better.
Make cut scenes for various parts of the game.
Figure out how to dump this to various OSs. Right now I can’t figure out how to get Android to work.
Implement controls for touch screen.
See you guys in 4 years. lol.