Goldenage

goldenage

cbYCbg6aIDw

Here is a prototype of my game, “The Golden Age.” You play as three different pirates, trying to stay alive. Most of the graphics are place holders at this point, as I wanted to focus on game mechanics before anything else. There’s a lot more I want to implement, but here’s what I have done so far:

The layout of the game world is built, which is tile based and for this game, pretty big. It’s actually the same world as Dodger Dog, which takes place on Fig Island, which is modeled off Port St Joe/Cape San Blas Florida and the surrounding areas. The water tiles animate to make the water appear like it’s flowing. The players also animate, but it’s kind of hard to see. The world has 7 towns, each with a “king” that is currently represented as a teepee (later the player will be able to go into the teepee and talk to the king). Each teepee has a corresponding fire. I tried to implement my own particle effect generator but half way failed so I just used a few animated sprites for that instead for now.

Players can jump and swim and collide with trees and other game objects.

Players can collect weapons and switch between them and use them to attack, and there is a little inventory system going.

There are two missions player can play and complete, one of which involves collected weapons.

There is a weather system, which is basically a day and night cycle, as well as rain/storm cycle with lightening. For lightening, I used http://www.java-gaming.org/topics/libgdx-lightning-effect-code/35553/view.html Thanks @Cero and @Phased for making that, it looks pretty dang good.

The player/party movement looks pretty good too! It’s very smooth. Thanks @SkyAphid with the help on that.

There’s a makeshift GUI. It doesn’t display anything really but at least its there.

PlayStation, XBox, and Logitech controllers work, as well as keyboard and mouse controls. (The controllers don’t actually do anything yet except print out “A button hit” and stuff, but they’re mapped and ready to go.

Player can use a torch which currently uses the same animation as the regular fire.

Things I still need to do/work on:
Make all my images be on the same sprite sheet.
Do art for most of the game.
Implement more weapons and missions.
Make collision detection better.
Make cut scenes for various parts of the game.
Figure out how to dump this to various OSs. Right now I can’t figure out how to get Android to work.
Implement controls for touch screen.
See you guys in 4 years. lol.

Keep up the good work!!

You have great ideas to share something like this.Thanks for share this info. You may check our website also transformice

It seems to me that @Mykayla is a marketer. Anybody saw his posts? Seems like all of them are pointing to his websites. A little marketing is fine, please use the signature field for that. However, hijacking other threads is not.

If those games are yours, why not post under projects boards, either showcase or wip?

[quote]Mykayla is a marketer
[/quote]
I would go one step further and say he’s a bot. He posted a similar reply in three other threads each with a different website.

I have been making really good progress on this project. I now have makeshift designs and animations for the players and enemies. As of now, there are 7 towns, and each town has an enemy spawner. The enemies are spawned until they hit a max amount allowed, and their AI makes them follow the player and attack you. If you have a sword, you can kill them. When one enemy dies, another spawns.

UI:
There is now a working inventory system where you can actually select the weapon you want. You can also switch to the map (map is still very much a WIP, but at least its there and functioning).

Controls:
All controllers are implemented and actually do stuff to affect game play rather than System.out.println(“A Button Pressed”);

The last few days I’ve been working on audio, mostly things like fade in ocean sounds if player comes within bounds of the ocean. Same with fire.

I also made a cutscene intro in anticipation for the demo I’m going to make, which I hope to have made within the next month, where at least game play will work. Graphics might be a bit iffy, as I am no artist.

I just need to figure out how to properly package everything together.

I’ll try to put up a video demo this weekend.

Cheers!

The last thing I need to do before I make another video demo and and actual demo, is program how the map works and where it shows the player. I wanted to have a white square (or some sort of marker) to show where the player is on the map. Since my map is huge (64 x 64 chunks) and I suck at math, I think I’ll just do a quick check of what chunk the player is in, and just have the marker kind of be in the middle of whatever chunk the player is in. So it wont be exact, but close enough to know where you are in regards to the world.

Another thing I need to figure out is how to get the game to not slow to half when I do the nighttime cycle. Right now, I’m putting a dark transparent tile over all the tiles, which slows the game down to a crawl. I might just end up saying f**k the night time. Maybe we’ll be in a world that never gets dark lol, but thats not really what I wanted. However, it might have to be that way if I can’t get this to run better.

I also put in a health/heart system, where the hearts are displayed around the edge of the screen (so if you get enough hearts, the whole screen’s border will be covered with them. The hearts disappear fast if you get hit, but there’s a lot collect to re-up, so I think it looks kind of cool and I don’t think I’ve ever seen that done in a game before.

I plan on making two videos to upload very soon, one showing just the game and features and things, and one really zoomed out so you can see how I’m rendering everything to see if this is how you guys do it.

Have a good day people.

Here is a short video I made showing the inventory and map. This game is coming along nicely, although there is a lot more to do.

Notable things that work:

• Day/night/rain/storm cycles.
  • Two playable missions, where one is like a mini game with a completely different set of graphics than the game world.
  • Inventory system with three weapons, a sword (but there are 7 swords throughout the world), a gun, and an oyster that acts like a boomerang.
  • Tracking player location from the game world onto the UI map.

I think I’ll take a few days and refactor some code before it gets too sloppy, and make sure that controllers still work for everything.

5y3H6GAWdB4

The player movement is very smooth.
reviews rabbit

Thanks a lot! To be honest, @SkyAphid told me how to do that. I still have to fix the direction the 3rd player faces when the first player moves, but I do agree it looks pretty smooth! Now if I could only get the game to run at a constant 30 fps instead of fluctuating between 19 and 30 lol.

I have made the classic rookie mistake, of making too big of a game with too many ambitions alone. With that being said, I’m cutting a few missions, and now will focus on fun game play with what I have so far, implementing new bad guys, collectibles, combat, etc, and I also want to make a few side missions, like fishing or something.

It’s funny to see my design document at the start of this, there is so much stuff in it. And I thought, I can do all this, easy. Yeah, not so much.

My friend that’s doing the art helped me create a new premise for the game. Previously, you had to collect all the magic swords to win the game because it would unleash some magical power and heal everyone in the world or something. We re-worked it, so now, your main mission is to find your lost bird, which has a treasure map attached to his leg, and the final mission will be to retrieve the treasure.

This will cut down a few missions, make the game more fun, and let me focus on something else for a while lol.

Can anyone think of anything cool they would assume to see in a pirate game? One of the side missions I wanted to implement was some sort of boat battle. And I have a parrot. And three stereotypical pirates (one has an eye patch, one has a peg leg, and other pirate stuff), I have rum and loot/booty as a collectible. Anything I’m missing with a typical pirate?

Cursed stuff, of course :slight_smile:

Cas :slight_smile:

Yeah that might be a good idea, maybe have one cursed rum that does something bad.

A script writer that is good with pirate jargon: “aarrghh!” ;D

Yeah! That would be good too lol. I tried for the intro, and found out I’m not too good at writing pirate talk.

This game is coming along, so I wanted to share some updates.

First, here are some videos of the game currently:

Here is just generally walking around in the “open world”:
WJy5axEGxog

Here is a part of fighting enemies while you’re invincible:
-GVJkE6qJLU

And here’s a boss battle:
XKtopsq1OzE

The boss battle is only showing like half of what happens in the actual battle because I made the gunshots take away like a quarter health or something each time so he would die faster for debugging.

I have asked two of my good friends who are artists to do art, and they were super excited for 2 days. Not so much anymore. So this might be programmer art. So, in that case, if I do use programmer art, does anything stand out looking really weird or out of place?

So far, this game has 10 weapons, and a mission system that works, so there are 4 missions that you can actually sit down and play.

I would appreciate any feedback anyone has!

I recently got a new computer and it seems as if LibGDX has changed their build process and only uses Gradle now. When I try to make a build, I don’t have the Tools.jar file in the JRE so it fails, and I’m still trying to figure out how to fix that, hence no demo to play.

Now, that brings a question…why did they change the build process in LibGDX? On my old computer, I could just export my LibGDX project out of Eclipse to a runnable jar. When I do that now (on my new computer with a new LibGDX build), that doesn’t work at all, and it says to use Gradle. And why can’t it find Tools.jar? (I mean, that file literally isn’t there, but why isn’t it after the newest install of java?)

Edit: also, if anyone wants to look, here’s the code for this whole game: https://github.com/IanFell/TheGoldenAge

Keep in mind, that code might either help or hurt somebody.

I made a title screen and renamed the game "GOLDENAGE’.

http://C:\Users\ianfe\Desktop\godenage.png

I’ve been chugging along on this game, and I’m happy to say I’m almost done! The game now has like 8 “missions”/things to do in order, with a win/lose/restart implemented. I still have a lot to do with polish and bug fixes and overall just making things more fun and better, but I’m happy with the state that it is in right now.

I decided to definitely do programmer art, and I still have to go back and fix/redo a lot of the images and I named it “GOLDENAGE” and made that the name of the pirate, so when you win the game, it’s known as the “Golden Age” named after her. Oh yeah the main pirate is also a girl.

Here is the cover:
goldenage

Here are a few videos (they’re at like half speed because my computer can’t handle capturing video and running the game but whatever, you’ll get the idea.

Main game play:

Mission to dodge birds and collect feathers:

Oh, and @princec, I made a weapon called the “cursed monkey paw” that kills all the enemies in the world (they respawn in their respective respawn spots) and you can only use it once.

My sister is an editor and really good at pirate jargon, so she is going to re-write my crappy script.

Haha, that’s a cool idea for a weapon :slight_smile: “Scroll of Genocide”

1 Like

I also made an arcade cabinet for this game, and here’s what it looks like. It’s not quite done, as I need to put the control art on the bezzel, and the stickers for the front and sides are being put on tomorrow. The buttons are all LEDs that light up which is kind of cool, and the marquee is light up.

2 Likes