Goldenage

Holy crap you made an arcade cabinet for it! That’s awesome :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks :slight_smile: It’s a really fun project and it gives me and my Dad an excuse to go into the garage and smoke some weed and build something :)!

Here’s pretty much what it looks like finished minus a few small things.

1 Like

That’s a awesome frame for your “picture”! This looks very “classic” and fun, and like something I could have played at Silver Ball Gardens back in my college days when I worked at the local arcade.

1 Like

I just recently found a bunch of pictures from my 10th birthday party at Aladdin’s Castle. Man, I miss arcades. Barcades are not the same at all.

Nice.

I hear you about the barcades. We have a local Bowling Alley with a dozen units or so, plus some air hockey. They have a bar, too, of course, but fortunately it’s a separate room. I used to go in there occasionally, pre Covid.

There are a couple “museum” types of places around with classic games, but there’s usually a significant entrance fee. Even if the games are free to play, it’s usually more of a commitment than I want to make. I liked being able to pop in and out of arcades freely.

Me too! I think we have some games left at our movie theatre, which has been closed obviously and just went out of business last week. We opened a barcade about 2 months before covid started, and it was cool but not the same as “an arcade”. When the focus turns to alcohol sales instead of game sales, I think it’s no longer an arcade.

I decided to release this game around Christmas. I’m going to put it on Itch and probably GameJolt. But I’m also going to make a physical copy to hand out to friends and family. I’m going with the business card sized USB again with the cover printed on it. That’s what I did for Dodger Dog. However this time, I’m going the extra mile and making an instructional pamphlet, as well as a box, which I decided will be a Switch case.

So now, I’m making the pamphlet and cover art, and fixing bugs / refactoring.

I set out starting this project to learn how to use LibGDX and learn how to make a tile based world from scratch, and I think I accomplished that goal (minus for the life of me I can’t get Android to work).

So now I am calling this game complete minus a little polish and bug fixes, but I don’t think I’ll be doing anything new.

1 Like

Still can’t get Android to work, but at least the game didn’t take 4 years. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well, I think this game is complete! I’m still going to release it on Christmas, but I’m happy that I completed it, and can move on to a new project. I learned so much from this project and I think I completed the goal I set out to do. Thanks to everyone who helped me along the way :slight_smile:

I am going to release this on Dec 15th. Here’s the link if anyone wants to try it:

I have AdoptOpenJDK 11 installed on my machine, and when I launch your EXE, I have the message : “This application requires a Java Runtime Environment 1.5.0_111 - 1.9.0”.
Isn’t it possible to make it compatible with Java 11, or just to embed a JVM in your distrib ?

I’ll make it compatible with java 11. I tried to embed the JVM and I really couldn’t figure out how to get it to work. I am using Launch4j, and maybe I just couldn’t figure out the correct path to point to the JVM. I followed a lot of tutorials and experimented a lot, but I just couldn’t get it to work.

Ok, I think I fixed it…Here’s the new link:

1 Like

Here it is!

Here’s the code for the final game: I’m not quite sure it’s the best code, but it might help someone in the future figure something out.