The Forkée Graveyard [Work in Progress]

An early version of a new game I’m trying out. It requires sound to play right. No sound means it’s still playable, but it’s preferred to have it.

http://groboclown.net/games/graveyard-4k.html

I still need to add the old woman update and add to the animation, and add a few more bits to the graveyard.

It’s based off of the concept game The Graveyard by Tale-of-Tales, with some notable differences. I also have a German version available.

I get one of these:

Exception in thread "Thread-10" java.lang.RuntimeException: javax.sound.sampled.LineUnavailableException: Audio Device Unavailable
	at A.run(Unknown Source)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:662)
Caused by: javax.sound.sampled.LineUnavailableException: Audio Device Unavailable
	at com.sun.media.sound.HeadspaceMixer.nResume(Native Method)
	at com.sun.media.sound.HeadspaceMixer.implOpen(HeadspaceMixer.java:346)
	at com.sun.media.sound.AbstractMixer.open(AbstractMixer.java:286)
	at com.sun.media.sound.AbstractMixer.open(AbstractMixer.java:323)
	at com.sun.media.sound.AbstractDataLine.open(AbstractDataLine.java:103)
	at com.sun.media.sound.MixerSourceLine.open(MixerSourceLine.java:39)

Which presumably means my audio is broken locally?

Kev

Yes, it means that you had another program using the audio line, or your system doesn’t support audio. I have that issue on my Linux box when I have another multimedia app running.

I raise this exception because my frame timing logic is based off of the audio write call, rather than a sleep or yield loop.

Know if theres anyway of finding out what stole my audio?

Kev

Maybe that is the cause of what I experienced: the game runs really slow… even though the CPU is hardly used. I did not get any exceptions.

I’ll look at reworking the timing, as my assumptions about the output line writes may not be consistent across all platforms, which would also fix Kev’s problem. (On a side note, it’s supposed to be slow movement, but not choppy)

Out of curiosity, which platform are you running on, icza?

You can see what sound devices are open with lsof | grep snd and see which app is using the raw audio output. There’s a good writeup about this at this link.

Thanks for that really useful. Unfortunately now I do have it working it’s really painfully slow. Hopefully the sound update will resolve it

Kev

Win7 64 bit. When I have a chance, I will measure how long it takes me to get to the first building.

38 seconds for me. Painfully slow.

Same as above, Win7 64bit.

[quote]38 seconds for me. Painfully slow.
[/quote]
My experience is similar. I’m not sure what to do in the game after you reach the building and it (very slowly) displays the text. None of the keys seem to have an affect after that point.

That’s the game. Perhaps I released this a bit too early. The main character animation will show that you’re controlling an elderly person slowly walking between the gravestones.

If you haven’t played the original, you can get a good feel for it here:

I’ve updated the game enough to restructure the audio playback (you no longer have to have audio), and the main character is present with just example animation.

http://groboclown.net/games/graveyard-4k.html

What button shoots?

Very laggy on Mac OS X, probably related to the Left4kDead-lifted active rendering code.

`t is a funny name.

Basically it’s Desert Bus without the game, right?

Lol!

I like the fog and grey scales, and the anticipation, but it would be cool if more happened and the text went faster.

There will be more coming - not much additional action, but a bit more. Essentially, it will end the story.

Granny gets down now! Looks good (not in a dirty way).

I made it to the bench. Phew! Time for a cup of tea. :slight_smile: