Test jMonkeyEngine 3.0 on your android phone!

jMonkeyEngine 3.0 is the third installment of the high performance java game engine, jME. Android support has been added recently, but since I do not have an android phone, I can’t test how well it works on actual hardware!
Download the APK here:
http://www.jmonkeyengine.com/jme/jme3_2.apk

Install it and run by clicking “jMonkey Engine 3.0” or the monkey logo :wink:
Report the fps you get in the thread.

Here’s a screenshot from the emulator:

http://img682.imageshack.us/img682/3792/whatyousee.png

Controls:
WASD - Strafe and move forward/back
Touch screen - Rotate camera

Link is broken. 404 Error: Sorry, that page cannot be found.

What? I tested it a second ago… Give me a minute…

EDIT: Haha… silly mistake, it was jme/ not jme3/, anyway, try the link now. Thats what I get for not testing after posting ;D

Runs at around 45fps on my HTC G1. However, I don’t see any monkeys in the balls, they’re just white.

Alright cool. I am using paletted textures for the spheres (OES_compressed_palette_texture) so either I am uploading it incorrectly, the extension support in HTC G1 is incorrect, or something else.
Can you zoom in onto the scene, so its close up (use WASD keys) and then see how that effects the fps? What about rotating the scene so its entirely out of view, then what’s the fps?

HTC Magic. Same as ranger, no textures, just 9 white octogans (same FPS ~45). I guess the WASD is just for mobiles with keyboard support so can’t try this)? (Bit out of touch with android at the moment ). Can’t see any 3D. Touching the screen just moves the 9 octogans around the screen (doesn’t rotate).

It is 3D trust me, it just seems that way because you’re far away from the spheres, it rotates the camera when you use the touchscreen.
Sorry I haven’t added any support for touchscreen-only devices, I will need to add some gui buttons on the screen that can replace WASD.
I will try to make a new dist for you to try, where it will specify the miplevels correctly… Give me a minute.

Yep, W+S zoom in and out. A+D just move it left and right. FPS stays around 45.

Re: No textures. You may have an error with your OpenGL initialisation if you’re using EGLConfigs.

Textures work fine in emulator. And if the FPS text shows, that means textures work too. It’s just that palette textures dont work :-\ At least not the way I specify them.

EDIT: New version! I think this one will work on actual phones now, as it follows the spec.
http://www.jmonkeyengine.com/jme/jme3_2.apk

Here’s a video of the test on Motorola Droid:

As you can see, textures work :wink: So it’s probably your phone not being compliant or something else.

No textures at all on Samsung i7500 (Android 1.5), i.e. no textures on the spheres on no fps display. In addition, the spheres tend to flicker if you move the camera (Edit: That’s visible in the video that you’ve posted too).

Edit: …and it’s not using the hardware, it runs using the software renderer.

touch post