Tank War - 4K entry

Here is another entry for the 4K. It is called Tank War.

http://www.javaunlimited.net/games/launch.php?type=jnlp&id=146

Navigate the maze with your tank. Avoid colliding with other tanks while trying to destroy them.

Controls:
Use arrows or WASD to move in the desired direciton.
SPACE or CONTROL to fire.
SHIFT to drop a mine.

NOTE: Your mines do not hurt you.

I have a lot of space left, so all suggestions are appreciated. Also let me know if it is too hard or too easy.

Thanks.

Anybody??

There is a new and improved version up. The graphics are better and I fixed acouple of bugs.

Runs really slow here after you tweaked up the graphics.

But graphically the game looks good, and a nice gameplay. One thing I dislike and that is the movement of the tank, I don’t want it to keep going in whatever direction after I released the movement key, but rather only make it move when I hold in the arrow keys.

I like it!

Just wondering, what if you made it so that the tank wasn’t always trying to move in the direction that you’re facing? Or is it on purpose, because I suppose it makes it more hectic.

The graphics look very nice for a 4K game. Also the AI is capable but not predictable which is fun.

I will see what I can do to speed it up for you.

That is the whole point. That tank keeps moving unless you hit a wall. That is part of the challenge.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Yes, that’s part of the challenge. You can only shoot in the direction you are facing. One thing that helps is that you can press a direction key even if there is a wall in that direction. It will take the next turn for you, unless you press a different key.

Thanks. I was suprised how well the AI worked for the amount of code it took.

I recommend you change it :slight_smile: just my 5 cents.

Sorry, that’s not the game I want to make.

This is a very cool game for 4K , and you say you still have a lot of space left?! How do you guys do it? My basic framework for a 4K game is like 1.20KB and once I added a ship, it was like 2KB - just little things increased the size like crazy.

Thanks.

This is my 8th 4K game. I have learned a lot from doing them. This one now has just under 400 bytes left. If I have time I am going to try and improve the maze generator.

I have improved the maze generator. It is now more maze like than just random blocks.

One little thing: i lost some life’s cause of opponents, which appeared directly in frint of me. :o

Ok. Made sure they won’t appear too close.

Something wrong with the JNLP-Link? I get “Eggs4K” when using the Link :o

Must have been a glitch in JavaUnlimited or something. The jnlp points to the correct file and I just tested it and it worked fine.