t4kns [fits in 4k now!]

You might want to take a look at Warlocked for inspiration. It only had two combat units - a strong melee unit and a weak ranged unit. I see that you’ve already tried the fast/med/slow sort of deal, but this might introduce variation.

Beautiful, I especially like the transitions between grass/ground/water/fog.
Wonder how good the game play will be.

http://www.mojang.com/notch/misc/preview5.png

Heh, getting dangerously close to the 4k limit now… But you can harvest crystals now, and there’s a building!

I’ve no doubt you’re compressing it thoroughly, just wondering what tools you’re using? Are you doing what moogie does with his tool (or using the tool) anywhere? That is, running it through several obfuscators in different order.

I’m just running jarg and 7zip. I need to look into better compression methods soon. Or cutting out features. :frowning:
I added energy and money (neither of them does anything yet, but they’re kept track of and rendered), and now I’ve only got about 150 left… uhoh. :-o

I really want to add base building, enemies and keyboard scrolling (having to use the minimap really sucks), but it’s looking slightly bleak at this point.

Hows the AI going?

Kev

I found BJWFLATE compresses better than 7zip, not sure where you can get bjwflate today, since the guy who made it had to take it off his site because of patent issues :expressionless:

Also, not sure how you’re doing the resource gathering, C&C style where the harvester has to return to base to deliver (I can imagine that being some code)?
In Battlezone 1 and 2, there are harvesters (called scavengers) that pick up something like crystals, but they do not return to base to deliver it, they just pick it up and it turns instantly into money that the player can use. Maybe that can help.

I have found BJWFlate is better than 7zip. It beats the best 7zip by 5-10% every time. Although you can only use it on Windows.

I meant BJWflate yes, I said kzip but was thinking of bjwflate! :slight_smile:

[quote]BJWflate
[/quote]
t4nks.jar went from 3934 bytes to 3899! Thanks =D

[edit:]

Wow, but kzip brought it to 3878 bytes. Awesome!

Try this combination of obfuscators:

Original JAR > JShrink > JoGa > ProGuard > JoGa > Done! (and then bjwflate or kzip)

I get the best compression on the class file with kzip and the /b128 option. Beats bjwflate with 20 bytes. However it is not stable. A little refactoring and it use 40 bytes more.

Btw, is there a way to run JoGa from the command line?

Better yet - search the formus for 4KJO (moogie’s tool so one of his post if that keyword doesn’t do the trick). It uses several zip tools and obfuscators and will probably shave a whole bunch of bytes of the project (that’s why I mentioned it earlier). The pack200 embedding stuff doesn’t work though, disable that. :slight_smile:

I haven’t found a working link to 4KJO. Here is the 4KJO thread on javagaming:
http://www.java-gaming.org/forums/index.php?topic=15497.0

Does anyone got a copy they can share.

Yeah, I can’t find the download either…

I could share it but I’d like moogie’s permission for that first… :confused:

http://www.mojang.com/notch/j4k/t4kns/preview6.png

You can play it the game now!
Unfortunately, it’s quite a few bytes over 4kb, so I’ll probably end up having to cut something out… :-\

bloody hell it’s hard…

go for it :slight_smile:

I do plan to make a newer version as i believe it may not work with java 1.6

Wow, I am impressed…

The one thing I’d really like to see, space permitting, is for the map to scroll with the unit you are controlling. Using the minimap to shift the player’s view is clunky.