SWP's Stick Fighter (need a new name)

It’s also very much a work in progress, but for now you can still give my version of Stick Fighter a try via Web Start.

You are the white player.

Cursors move.
Space - Jump
X - Punch
Z - Kick

The computer opponent is an idiot.

I think I may rename it to 4k Kung Fu.

edit: Home page now on JavaUnlimited http://javaunlimited.net/hosted/swpalmer/J4k2006/StickFighter/
(and the opponent is slightly less stupid.)

1. Can you change jumping to the Up arrow? I think it would be more natural. (A la Street Fighter 2 rather than yuck Rise of the Robots.)

2. For the love of God! Please change the punch from the Shift key! If I get one more Accessibility Alert from windows, I’m going to kill someone! :o (I wish I knew a way to get rid of those stupid 5 shift taps and 5 second shift hold shortcuts forever. Grrr…)

3. Can you prevent the characters from going offscreen? It makes the action kind of difficult to follow. :slight_smile:

4. Any chance of a block button? Maybe SFII style rather than MK style?

5. How about a better AI? ;D

6. Players should always face each other.

It’s a great start, though. Keep up the good work. :slight_smile:

it’s just StickeyKeys :stuck_out_tongue:
start->control panel->accessibility options->uncheck all boxes

“Could not find the main class. Program will exit.” I would try downloading the jar but I doubt I’d be able to do much with it if I don’t know the main class.

[quote=“woogley,post:3,topic:26121”]
That won’t do it. The sticky keys will reenable as soon as you pound the shift key five times. (The stupid thing has been my arch nemesis for years!) I just checked the control panel, though, and realized that a new option to disable shortcuts has finally appeared under the “Settings” panel for each Accessibility option. WooHoo! No more FilterKeys activating when I’m holding the shift thinking about what I’m going to type! ;D

That being said, shift is still bad. Windows users will have this problem, and most won’t know how to fix it.

true, alot of pinball games fall into the ‘shift’ trap (because it’s so handy that there are TWO shift keys!)

we should start an incredible ‘ctrl’ movement.

Yep, will do.

[quote]2. For the love of God! Please change the punch from the Shift key! If I get one more Accessibility Alert from windows, I’m going to kill someone! :o (I wish I knew a way to get rid of those stupid 5 shift taps and 5 second shift hold shortcuts forever. Grrr…)
[/quote]
Funny, I don’t get that. but I can change punch to space after doing #1 :slight_smile:
Puch is now X, Kick is now Z

[quote]3. Can you prevent the characters from going offscreen? It makes the action kind of difficult to follow. :slight_smile:
[/quote]
You can’t walk off screen, but you can be kicked/punched off screen… I will tweak that so it isn’t as annoying. FIXED.

[quote]4. Any chance of a block button? Maybe SFII style rather than MK style?
[/quote]
Yes, it’s on the list of things to add.

[quote]5. How about a better AI? ;D
[/quote]
What you got something against Math.random() ? ;D

[quote]6. Players should always face each other.
[/quote]
In the works. FIXED

[quote]It’s a great start, though. Keep up the good work. :slight_smile:
[/quote]
Thanks.

I need to tweak the art a bit too, I want the stick figure proportions to be better.

Strange that this is happening for you and not others. What system/JRE are you running on?

The main class is ‘S’

XP tablet edition (pro, basically) and JRE 1.5. Will try starting JAR manually.

EDIT: Worked when starting with java -cp StickFighter.jar S. Three things:

1. White is too hard to see compared to gray, and it’d be more intuitive if you were the left player.
  2. The AI :wink:
  3. You shouldn’t be able to hold down keys to punch/kick all the time.

Otherwise looking good, nice sound effects, lots of space left. Keep working on it :slight_smile:

Agh! I still hear the fighitng sounds even though I closed the application already, how come?

:-[

oh been hoping someone would do a beat em up for 4k (personally didn’t think it was possible, guess i was wrong :)) once u press kick or punch the arm/leg should go back to normal after an interval (like in street fighter) which adds to gameplay as u’ll need to have correct timing, at the moment u just hold the kick/punch button and just move around when u get in range it attacks automatically which isn’t right in a beat em up :slight_smile: appart from that very nice.

is it just me or does this game remind you off http://uploads.ungrounded.net/content.php?id=42801&name=42801_xiaoxiao01_1_.swf&title=Xiao%20Xiao%20No.%201&date=1139288400&quality=b&uj=0&w=550&h=400

[quote=“kapta,post:13,topic:26121”]
The XiaoXiao animations were definately an inspiration!

I’ve updated the jar…

Controls are now:

Cursors - Move left and right
Space - Jump
Z - Kick
X - Punch

Other changes: game keeps score, oppenents always face each other, opponent dies and re-spawns.
And you can now safely close the window :slight_smile:

More to come…

There is a slight issue with ‘Z’ & ‘X’ with German Keyboards. I remember someone pointed out that ‘Z’ is somewhere in the middle of the top row (I had used it for fire). Maybe for 4k games, we’ll just have to live with a few inconveniences thro’.

Got to go so no time to try the latest version. I did try an earlier version & loved the animation :slight_smile:
Alan

Thanks. I’ve actually improved it a bit for this version, and I hope to tweak more still.

Uploaded a slightly tweaked version to javaunlimited

http://javaunlimited.net/hosted/swpalmer/J4k2006/StickFighter/

Now with two player support.

Play White against black with my pathetic AI (only slightly better than the original). Or switch to 2 player mode by simply controlling black with the numeric keypad.

I still have over a hundred bytes left…
I’m very close to implementing blocking of some sort… but alas… I doubt I will have the time to polish it off. :frowning:
So much I wish I had time to tweak… I think I could improve the sound… I was going to add high/low attacks… I wanted to improve the proportions on the stick men and add a little more physics (like the current recoil from the punch).

Well there’s always next year. This contest has some great entries. Generally much improved over last year.

Its cute! But I get a terrible animation speed on my laptop.

java.lang.NullPointerException
at S.a(Unknown Source)
at S.a(Unknown Source)
at S.(Unknown Source)
at S.main(Unknown Source)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.executeApplication(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.executeMainClass(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.continueLaunch(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.handleApplicationDesc(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.handleLaunchFile(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.run(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

XP service pack 2
java version “1.5.0_04”
Java™ 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_04-b05)
Java HotSpot™ Client VM (build 1.5.0_04-b05, mixed mode, sharing)