Suggestion: We need a graphics design forum!

I understand this is a java game programming centered forum, but since we are a indie game community I think it would be nice if we had a forum in the Game Development section dedicated to graphics design. If we had a graphics forum we could post our raw artwork and get help/opinions/suggestions from other members who may be more skilled in the graphics design aspects (Like myself). We could even have a subforum for pixel art tutorials, shading, character design, concepts for depth in 2D games, etc.

Reason being is while we are predominately for java programmers, I think it would be a logical step since this forum is dedicated to java gaming as a whole, and graphics is a huge part of that. I’m sure a lot of people would like to just post their work and get feedback from other members with greater art skill, to help shape the direction of the art style of their work. I know I love giving feedback on art aspects, because that’s my stronger point. :stuck_out_tongue:

This is a good suggestion imo…

I’m actually kinda into that stuff.
I wouldn’t mind another sub forum either.

New boards will be added when enough people use existing boards for things that would deserve its own place. Proactively adding boards simply doesn’t work well, like the recently added ‘weekly N hour contest’ board which is abandoned already.

Another reason we could use a forum like this, is while there are plenty of pixel art communities out there, most of them are not dedicated to gaming graphics (and the planning/implementation of them).

There’s a huge difference when you plan your artwork between making this, a static image that looks pretty:

and making this, a dynamic graphics tileset+sprites:

http://sixtygig.com/junk/dev2-21-14-1.png

…it would be nice if we had a place to discuss the technical aspects of the process, including ways to implement/plan for it.

Oh sorry Riven about the board for the game jam, we realized we shouldn’t spam the forum with our game entries so we made our own forum! Sorry about that.

hm, some assets/concept-art/2d-art forum would be great to have

New boards will be added when enough people use existing boards for things that would deserve its own place. Proactively adding boards simply doesn’t work well, like the recently added ‘weekly N hour contest’ board which is abandoned already.

I agree. Still I don’t know where I can to put assets/concept-art/2d-art currently.

If everything else doesn’t fit, it fits in Misc.

Just a thought… sometimes a honey pot can attract the bees, if you get my meaning.

Cas :slight_smile:

And flies are attracted to shit.

Sure, but there were quite a few dead boards, sometimes with a couple dozen sticky posts, when I took over.

It’s easy to add branches to a tree, but you’ll end up in the shade. (wait, that isn’t a proverb, mainly because it makes no sense any way you look at it)

Besides, JGO would be a pretty bad place to ask feedback on art, there are other forums that specialize in it, where you get more valuable feedback.