submitting for dummies.

So I have my little cell phone demo game, but I am none too knowledgable about installers and things of that nature. How do I go from a working program in my apps directory to an uploaded acceptable file in my contest directory?

Keep in mind, I’m…not a smart man.

Just upload the jar and the jad file?

The rules mentioned something about an installer and uninstaller. If it is as simple as that, then cool. I just need to know.

Here is the pertinent part from the contest rules:

All Games that do not utilize Java™Web Start or
are played in a browser must include an auto-mated
installation and uninstallation routine.

I have developed a cell phone game, and use ktoolbar to execute. I just need to know what I need to submit.

Anyone? What is webstart? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

Go to JGF (bottom of my post), go to the articles, and read the article by Kevin Glass on Webstart/JNLP. It’s short, clear, and tells you how to make webstarted games.

Webstart is a way of running java games on a PC/Mac/etc just by clicking on a link.

I doubt you want to package your mobile game using webstart, unless you’re intending it to be played on PC’s with an emulator (which you would have to distribute with the game, all wrapped up using webstart). Instead, I think the contest is probably perfectly happy for you to just provide a MIDlet or etc, but they didn’t think much about the rules when writing them and made quite a few mistakes.

Many thanks.

Does anyone officially responsible for the contest read the board? If so, can I just submit the jad/jar files?

I guess unless I hear anything I will play it safe and try to get the webstart thing working.