Strange World [download] [8-bit] [demo]

So this is a demo of my latest project, it’s called Strange World, and it’s a action game dressed like a RPG. You get into random battles, but you always start off with three HP, and you don’t level up, so it’s all by skill. 8-bit look and feel, our graphics use the NES’s color pallet, and are modeled after retro rpgs.

SHOULD I KEEP MY CURRENT BATTLE SYSTEM OR TURN MY GAME INTO A NORMAL RPG?

Download here!
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28109593/aura.zip

Double click on the jar file doesn’t work. I ran it from the command prompt and it gave me an UnsatisfiedLinkError when loading lwjgl.dll because it “Can’t find dependent libraries.” I’m using Java 6 Update 26.

Also, you didn’t include the 64-bit DLLs. I’m using a 64-bit OS and that could have also stopped the game from running. Aha, that was the problem, I used the 64-bit DLL and the game worked :wink:

The game looks nice, good job on the graphics. However there were too many random battles and my HP went in to the negatives!

everything is so green !!
I mean the game I can somewhat understand with trees and grass… but why is your eclipse green XD

Z as a key is never nice for us guys with QWERTZ keyboards

when there is a bridge or path, which is only as wide as the character its very hard to go through, you have to fiddle around too much (see AVGN review on “little red hood” ^^)
I like the battle system, reminds me of Star Ocean

I’m gonna look into the game more later

Very cool. Liking your Linux distribution look :smiley:

As for the combat system, if you are looking for possible different style, you might want to consider a Final Fantasy Adventure like system. That game had very Zelda like combat with a light underlying RPG system. That would allow for skill based combat, with the chance for the player to customize there character to their strengths.

the world is square, ok, I think I’ve played all

waaay too many encounter sometimes. sometimes you can’t take two steps without fighting several times

btw you do you dynamically load-in and use java code like your .ai files ?

For the full feel, try to only use those 8-bits :smiley: No integers :persecutioncomplex:
I’ll just try the game, and then report back! :point: Also, less smileys… 8)

Thank you all for the fantastic replies :slight_smile:
I added the 64 bit .dll files.

Worked perfectly on 64-bit java :slight_smile: Didn’t die though, but you’re well aware :wink:
Also, instructions on controls would be nice

-increased maxHP to 4.
-made it so HP goes to max after every battle.
-made it so you die if your HP goes to zero
-made it so you have 64 free steps before your next random encounter calculations begin.

You should make it a JNLP so it can automatically update, instead of having to redownload a million jar files :wink:

In the battle-zone, it’shard to cross the bridges because of the free movement. It’s hard to hit the right X-pixel in order to be able to cross.

I don’t agree, hate webstarts.

Yeah I already mentioned that. Battle system or not… same problem on the world map

Hate it or not, it still works and provides useful functionality :wink:

I know this! He uses the scripting functionality in the Janino project, by Codehaus. To my understanding (and no offence to CyanPrime), it’s not the best way to go if you want to have scripting functionality. There’s plenty of smart ways to implement Ruby and JavaScript, instead of compiling the scripts and executing them along the rest of the application. ::slight_smile:

I don’t think that’s how it works? Also whats wrong with Janino?

Please excuse me if I’m terribly wrong, but from the information found on the project site it doesn’t seem like it’s primairy goal is supporting scripting, in applications such as games. It feels more like a way to “rip code out” in a way. However, it may work out good :slight_smile:

[quote]Analogously to the expression evaluator, a ScriptEvaluator API exists that compiles and processes a JavaTM “block”, i.e. the body of a method. If a return value other than “void” is defined, then the block must return a value of that type.
[/quote]

[quote]Janino is a super-small, super-fast Java™ compiler. Not only can it compile a set of source files to a set of class files like the JAVAC tool, but also can it compile a Java™ expression, block, class body or source file in memory, load the bytecode and execute it directly in the same JVM. Janino is not intended to be a development tool, but an embedded compiler for run-time compilation purposes, e.g. expression evaluators or “server pages” engines like JSP.
[/quote]
I don’t know. It just seems like a curious choice for scripting. :slight_smile:

[quote]Janino is a super-small, super-fast Java™ compiler. Not only can it compile a set of source files to a set of class files like the JAVAC tool, but also can it compile a Java™ expression, block, class body or source file in memory, load the bytecode and execute it directly in the same JVM. Janino is not intended to be a development tool, but an embedded compiler for run-time compilation purposes, e.g. expression evaluators or “server pages” engines like JSP.
[/quote]
I don’t know. It just seems like a curious choice for scripting. :slight_smile:
[/quote]
It is :wink:

Hi!

I agree with ra4king, please give us a nice Java Web Start link, it is easier for me as I try to show games to people who sometimes don’t even know what a programming language is, I send them a Java Web Start link and that’s all. Some Windows users have WinZip installed and when they click on JARs, WinZip opens them instead of Java Web Start :frowning: