State of Fortune

This is so awesome! and i think a farming game is a super good idea. i would definitely play it a lot :). Also, i was wondering where you learned to render realistic terrain and water and stuff like that. I’ve only learned how to do really basic 3d graphics, so im trying to expand my knowledge :slight_smile:

-Roochie

I spent something like 2-3k hours on State of Profit, which is where I learned how to do 3D. The fancy things in this engine I learned since I started working on it about 3-4 weeks ago. Most of it comes from googling around and testing things out and figuring out how other people did things and then doing things the way I envisioned it. My best advice is: Be curious and push yourself :slight_smile:

Mike

Ok kool, thanks! Thats pretty much how i’ve learned what i know about 3d programming thus far. Searching countless forums and articles and wikis haha. usually once i understand the theory of what im trying to do, i can prototype it in java. And then after rewriting my code a couple times i’ll get a result closer to what im looking for. Lately though i havent been trying very hard to learn this more advanced stuff, sometimes I just get exhausted by it. But this project is super encouraging! keep up the good work!

Awesome! Runs perfectly smooth. Thanks for the “hold-shift-to-run”-feature :wink:

I added texture splatting (smoother sand at beaches, rocks when steep and snow on high flat areas). I also made light depending on the depth of the sea bottom as well as ground textures being more crisp.

Mike

EDIT: Updated it now instead, the higher quality ground isn’t really well optimized but it seems to work :slight_smile:

This looks really awesome!
I went to try it and i get this error: ClassNotFoundException org.lwjgl.util.applet.AppletLoader
any ideas of why this is happening?

Does other applets usually work? I don’t know, I’m using the simple default version of the lwjgl loader…

Mike

I was just joking by the way.

Look into some sort of scripting.

If you can create a world and entities from external files (ie: not programming), you should be fine.

[quote=“Mickelukas,post:1,topic:40755”]
An idea I’m considering doing somedaytm is to develop a similar terrain generation engine (or mod minecraft), and then build a pure survival game out of it, as in you need to hunt and scavenge for food, tools, weapons, to make clothing to survive cold weather… and be chased around by angered bears.

That sounds quite nice. A bit like Stalker but in a nature environment. I’ll spend some more time on the engine before deciding if and what to do with it :slight_smile: You should at least be able to chop down trees but if you need to do that to build a farm or a campfire I have no idea :stuck_out_tongue:

Anyone with comments on the new texture splatting?

Mike

It gets better and better, however, still got some complaints:

Very light patches, seems like its glowing at night:

Also small puddles of water are kinda ffed up (i know how hard it is to fix this).
And maybe make the transition of the texture splatting a bit sharper, it goes into each other so smoothly, it looks kinda odd.
3rd point, the water waves now stand 90 degrees to the land, its ruins your beautiful water effect.
Last, The reflection in the water is to clear, the waves should brake the light some more at the waves, and maybe an bigger overall blur.

Same stuff is was messing with when i tryd to make something similar, hopefully you got more luck on this.

Lots of nice comments, thanks! :slight_smile:

I just made the stone transition less smooth, I’ll do the same with the sand and look into the glowing

The waves are tricky seeing as it is a randomly generated land. I’ll look into making the water a bit smarter when it comes to wave direction.

I kinda like the clear water reflection but you are right that it is very clear when reflecting something that is far away.

Mike

I’ve been busy with preparing the new server for state of profit but found a few hours to improve on the engine.

The landscape is now four times as large
The loading time is four times as quick
The performance hit of enabling high quality ground is a third as big

You should be able to get some nice vistas now with the bigger landscape while having a better fps.

I’m currently making a bit of a to do list, some big ones are grass, sunset/sunrise coloring the sky, shadows and more kind of trees. It’ll be nice when the engine is good enough to support some kind of game :slight_smile:

Mike

I got the “game” to load but all i see is a blue screen…

That has happened me a 4-5 times as well, a reload solves it. I’ll try to make it happen while having debug turned on to see what is going on.

If it isn’t a one time thing: any clue in the java console?

Mike

the game works after 2 reloads. this is really awesome!

Thanks! I am looking into building things (your farm?). The texture looks really bad (just reused the one for the trees) and the lack of a shadow makes it look like it is floating, but at least it is a start :slight_smile:

http://stateoffortune.com/pictures/screenshots/foundation.png

Mike

this is really beginning to look really really cool!!! if only i could make a game like this :-\

@wreed12345: Put a lot of time into it, and you can! I’ve been programming since I started college 2 years ago, and I only recently felt confident enough, that I could implement the Box2D (physics) part of libgdx into a game. While I have been very busy at college, I’ve spent most of my spare time experimenting with Java2D (and some Swing), because the guys at this forum suggested that I get the basics right first, and I wanted to know what goes on behind the scenes of libraries like libgdx, before I dove into them. I’ve gained so much experience just testing stuff out, and reading source code (mainly Nate’s and Mario’s, and Ra4king’s gameloop) on the web. I can highly recommend this approach. You’ll come out right in the end, heheh.

Keep at it. Once you get 2 dimensions right, the steep learning curve of the third dimension will be easier to climb…I hope :smiley:

Back on topic, this project is getting more awesome by the minute!

How did you make your tree models? They look very detailed and I’m curious how you get them display so efficiently :slight_smile: