Start Fresh?

Kind of a surprise reading that, I was actually waiting exactly to do that.

Pity for the missing transparency and the lost chance.

Ok, enough bitching and back to work

Good work abcdef, though

Elect

I didn’t realise you were keen on helping out too!! Very happy for you to be involved and to help out as well. I saw a lot of talk about things and not a lot doing so I just went and tried to get something setup.

I’m happy to share all the commands I used for setting up discourse and for importing and editting the data. I’m also happy if more people want to get involved in customising the discourse. Just drop me a PM and we can discuss details

Didnt Phil tell you anything about it?

Anyway, it doesnt really matter much at this point, you did almost all I wanted to do.

Last thing I planned to do, which we discussed and agreed, was to merge lwjgl (to begin with) in jgo… this means mirroring the lwjgl forum structure into a jgo section.

Considering also that the jogl section is basically closed/dead because people should ask directly on jogamp forum, I’d say it doesnt make sense to bring it on discourse, let’s keep it read-only only on the old address and rename " OpenGL Development " to “Lwjgl” or “Lwjgl binding”. My 2c

Is spasi ok with moving the lwjgl forums here to the new discourse?

Yes, we’ve been considering moving the LWJGL forum to something modern and merging with JGO makes sense. Discourse is a fine solution.

Interesting, there is an smf2 importer that comes with discourse. I wonder if it would be easy to import that on top of jgo and then reorganise the categories after.

If you had a data dump we could run a test

I could share a mysql backup, but sensitive information must be removed first. I’ll let you know when it’s ready.

[quote]Didnt Phil tell you anything about it?
[/quote]
Yes, I mentioned both elect and Spasi to abcdef in an IM.
Probably overlooked or slipped out of mind as it was several days ago.
Anyway, I’m just glad you all are finally coordinating.

What is the issue with JOGL and LWJGL?

“Why can’t we be friends?”

I’ve always signed into my account with my Google account, and there doesn’t seem to be an option for that on the new Discourse. Is that coming? If not, how would I create credentials for this account?

Guys I would be happy to donate a Xenforo license and port all the content and users to the new setup. XF is one of the most solid forum softwares around. I have been doing web development for about 20 years now. That is easier than making a video game for sure.

I think a modern system would definitely help.

Edit:
I can…

• Port site and retain working forum links (including google results) and profiles
  • Setup reward/medal system
  • Setup Latest showcase games
  • Create dedicated homepage
  • Add request/feature here

I would recommend checking out Xenforo forum software. It’s so fast that giant forums use it, like GameSpot.

Support is there for it, but it’s not been configured yet. There are a few auth services available. It’s on the list of things to do. The priority was to get a working forum available for people to view and comment on. There needs to be a decision at some point that this will be the way to go.

What is the issue with JOGL and LWJGL?

Don’t think there is an issue, JOGL has their own forums and they like you to go there, LWJGL have their own forums too but they want to move here.

With xenforo don’t you need to renew the license every year ($55)?

I have no comments really on the software as I had never heard of it before today, the game spot forums looks like most other forums but the big difference being that you pay for it.

Anyway, I’d like to have them together under one unique place, but this is up to gouessej and sven. Last time I bring up the subject, years ago, it was a sharp no from them.

Sadly, I don’t think anything has changed

Latest update :

• I uploaded the banner from this site and favicon.ico
  • URL redirects now work

Use the below as an example

change to (the temporary url for testing to emulate the issue)

it changes automatically to

Next steps are to look at

• setting up email so people can create accounts
  • setting up other authenticion methods other than email (like gmail)
  • fix some of the issues with image and youtube on message migration

Latest update :

• I have email working, using Gmail SMTP. I’ve tested with a new account and it worked. Gmail limits to sending 100 emails a day.

• fixed the issue of images displaying as links when imported. Turned out to not be an issue on import but rather needed another command to run to fix things in discourse. I noticed that by editting a post and saving with no changes resolved the issue.

• I set up Oauth using the Gmail account I created but you need to get approval from Google to do this (I have a request pending). For any eventual migration we would need to use the existing settings as they are tied to java-gaming domain.

@riven - does the current setup meet all your conditions?

@everyone_else - over to you to make a decision on whether the discourse solution is they way you want to go.

I’m done on my part as things stand, don’t think there is much else to do for this proof of concept.

One more thing I forgot to add, discourse doesn’t come with a captcha system. People instead are encouraged to use

So this would need to installed at some point

It looks good, I’m on it

It’s looking great. The only main reasons to try Flarum apart from Discourse are the stack (Discourse is based on Ruby) and the memory limits. Great job @abcdef.

There are a few minor changes required with this. The logo is still the discourse logo on the discussion pages, scroll down a bit and you’ll see that.

We need a way to map the medals to Discourse’s likes.

Other than these, it’s great. I never knew it could import the old SMF schemas too. By the way, how did you set up the redirection? I’d like to learn.

It seems to give 200 instead of 301. Are we planning to add a new URL format to support?

EDIT: It is indeed giving 301. Postman is set to follow redirects by default so it worked for me.

To redirect I just added this to the nginx conf file.

location /topics/ {
rewrite ^/topics/([^/])/.$ /t/$1/ permanent;
return 403;
}

Docker has a template file you can add this too so it is persistent on container rebuilds.

The logo issue you mentioned just needs an image to replace it, there is a place in the admin settings to set the logo.

For the likes, likes are imported as part of the process so we just need @riven to import the medal data in to the likes table. I’m on my mobile at the moment so I can’t check if this was somehow incorporated in to the data dump that was available.