Star Dodger 4K

Cross-posted on the JDC Forums

Here’s Star Dodger 4K, an old favourite of mine:

http://games.cokeandcode.com/4k/stardodger/stardodger.jnlp
http://games.cokeandcode.com/4k/stardodger/stardodger.jar
Main-Class: D

Thanks to Kev for hosting and webstarting…

Bombed out once (after like 5 minutes) with… unexpected runtime error… I guess… well, the OK button had focus and space=pressing a button ::slight_smile:

That was fun. Odd, and hard, and sometime looks imposable, but fun.

I like it, found it hard also, got to level 4 before I failed.

I think you should scale the positions of the stars so that they appear more on the right hand side and middle than the left, when I died it was in the first nano second because I couldn’t avoid the very first star.

Perhaps a 3-5 second preview of the level would help instead so I can plan my route through before the trail starts to move.

You could also include a point style system for making the trail go through aliens or rescuing stranded astronaughts.

Another idea would be to make the ‘goal’ in different positions on the right hand side, rather than always the middle, on later levels you could make the goal a moving gap to make things really hard!

I noticed the first time I played it that if the window lost focus, i.e. was covered by the browser window, it didn’t redraw the instructions and I was left looking at a grey box, only after I restarted it did I get to play the game.

Andy.

I hate spawning and dying before I see anything :stuck_out_tongue:

silly question…I have just installed firefox in my linux box, and I could not find where (or how) could I set up webstart mime type (*.jnlp) files. Everytime that I click on a jnlp file firefox pops me up a dialog asking me to open or save the file…

Really great game for being such a simple idea. One key, that is quite unique! I agree with previous comments. Don’t think that will be big changes, but would improve the game a lot.

I really love this game! Then I would. I remember playing John’s first version in QBasic at school…

Tis truely a beautiful concept.

Kev