SQUARIUS^2

You guys may find this amusing:

http://meatfighter.com/squarius2/

It’s an enhanced version of one of my J4K 2007 entries. It’s not in Java though.

Where is the webstart link ;D

hmm, didn’t work =|

Please say that isn’t the error received if I don’t have .net runtime installed :o

[quote]Where is the webstart link
[/quote]
I was really surprised to discover that .NET doesn’t offer an equivalent to webstart. MS needs to offer a better deployment model.

[quote]Please say that isn’t the error received if I don’t have .net runtime installed
[/quote]
Sadly, it probably is. Makes me want to stick to Java.

Did you extract the executable and try to launch it locally? Perhaps its some messed up .NET security error from trying to launch from a remote site.

Ran fine on my Vista machine at home.

Played through to level 4 without dying, had maxed out powerups… then a big block fell from the ceiling without warning, and I died… 0_o

Maybe the balance needs abit of tweaking :slight_smile:
It desperately needs sound too.
Oh and more exotic power ups ;D

Apart from that, good game!

Out of interest, why did you write the game using .net?

.NET has ClickOnce, which is about the same as Java Web Start.
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms996413.aspx

[quote]It desperately needs sound too.
[/quote]
I couldn’t find a simple way of adding sound and music to a C# application.

[quote]Out of interest, why did you write the game using .net?
[/quote]
I wanted to see what the pros and cons of making a .NET game were. Also, I was hoping to explore XNA at some point and I felt this was a step in that direction.

[quote].NET has ClickOnce, which is about the same as Java Web Start.
[/quote]
I’ll look into this. Thanks for the link.

[quote].NET has ClickOnce, which is about the same as Java Web Start.
[/quote]
Apparently, it’s true. ClickOnce seems to work well… at least in IE. I updated the page. Thanks for the suggestion.

[quote]It desperately needs sound too.
[/quote]
Originally I couldn’t find a way to play sound effects and music in C# without dipping into the XNA or DirectX libraries. But, I noticed .NET 2.0 does have a namespace with a class that can play wav files. But, I think I’ll avoid bloating my tiny game with music files. Kind of defeats the point. That is, I wanted to demonstrate gameplay without all the bells and whistles.