Squaball

Any progress?

^ +1

Like, any latest version we could play? :stuck_out_tongue:

He said we cannot download it anymore. I think hes gonna sell it. Good for him!

For progress just follow me on twitter or sub to youtube. I will be posting progress there. As for playable version, I plan on selling it so no :frowning:

Ayt. How/Where do you plan to sell it (and for how much)?

No, he’s trolling us. It’s in his name. :wink:

Why not release a playable version now, and sell it when you have a more polished and fun version?

This way, you can get really good feedback, including bugs and such. If you just develop the game, you could be making something that you feel is good, yet no-one else likes. Especially if you want to sell it (and moreover, you want it to sell).

Yes I know, but I can’t really do that. This is not minecraft. It’s a level based game. I think I could do that, don’t know yet.

Do you really want to sell it?
Its a good game, thats right, but its not that kind of game that most people would pay for,
because its too small, no matter how much content you’re gonna add.
Keep it free and work on it and when you get it to a really serious game, THAN you can think about selling it.

To be honest, I would pay for this game. It has superb graphics, creative game play, and much more to offer. He could add a few more effecting tiles, more controls, and tons more! Who wouldn’t want to play a meat boy game with more content?

Also, if it is free until he is done, what’s to stop people from taking the newest version and then redistributing it? I think that this is a good point to stop the game’s demo. It gives the basic idea of the game, and allows for hype of the full release.

Just wanted to say that it isn’t the typical kind of game to be sold.

How expensive are you planning to make it?

Confused by these two statements. You say that it’s too small no matter how much content is added, but then you say that he can think about selling it when he gets it to become a really serious game? What does “really serious game” even mean?

Don’t get me wrong… that may come across as hostile, but I don’t mean to be :slight_smile: Actually, I get your point about it maybe being too small a game to sell, but I don’t get the “really serious game” part.

FWIW, I agree with keeping it free. I think that there’s some wisdom in someone’s first released indie game to not be commercial, unless they have industry experience, a reputation/fanbase to bank on or something like that. If you start out making free games rather than commercial ones, you’ll have time to build a reputation, connections, experience, goodwill and all that.

Such platform games as this are not typically sold as there are lots of them (that are usually ‘better’ too) that can be played free on flash game portals.

To make it a “serious” game would require somewhat unique mechanics, better artwork, possibly a storyline, decent audio (if you don’t already have it. I haven’t played the game and so can’t judge), and lots of polish.

You know what? He could make money off of this w/out selling it! He could just go here, or here and post it! He could make advertisement money! Lower amount of $ though, seeing as these sites don’t get much traffic (as far as I know…). That way it is free to play, and he gets money!
0.75*win | win!

Wow. Such discussion. Guyz… Please. I didn’t say “I will sell it”. I said something like “I plan on selling it” which doesn’t mean I will sell it. I will see what can I make out of it. Besides, price won’t be 20$ you know… 1 or 2, 3 maybe. DLC Quest has an hour of gameplay and is charged 3 pounds for it. And in my opinion the game doesn’t have proper platforming since controls feel really crap for me(Didn’t actually play, can’t tell). If I feel like this game is too small, I will just make it free. This actually started as LWJGL test project to learn some stuff.

Minecraft also started as a small project. Look at what it has become. You might say that Minecraft was created by a experienced programmer like Notch, but I’m not aiming for millions of sales here. That would be cool if I sold 100 copies. That would mean something to me. Hell 100. 10 would be already awesome :wink:

Platformer with (whatever libraries you’re using) is much more standard and easy to develop than a 3d voxel engine built from scratch with lwjgl…

Yes it is. I’m also using LWJGL.

Hi, though I haven’t posted a single update, I have been working on this game. Not how much I would like I had, but you know, summer is summer lol.

http://www.mediafire.com/?c7r6yuuc4t6x9ga

This is the launcher for game. It will download latest version of the game for you. Since the server is up on my computer, I will turn it off after few people download my game via the client.

I would also like to ask someone, who uses MAC/LINUX for a full system path to Applications like folder. It is called /appdata in windows. It also has to be full path, since I can’t find it anywhere on the internet.

(Minecraft uses /libraries/Application Support)I hope you get my point…

On GNU/Linux it’s normally put inside the home folder.

Something like ‘file:///home/user/gamefiles’

I ran it and Norton removed it… >:(
Got it to work after disabling it though.
Right off the bat, I kinda like the launcher. Makes it look professional. But it says that the server is offline when I try to get the latest version. :frowning:
So I unchecked the download latest version, and I start. It stops. I try again, and It cant locate the jar file…
Is it just me?