Sprite sheet editor

Hi,

there is a little tool that i make from varius tests. The first goal was to do a sprite editor that save all data in an unique png file (to be able to display it in a web browser without the need of anything else).

Webstart Jar

Right now, there is a plugin problem with webstart version (so don’t try plugin with it ;))

How to use it :

• take a sprite sheet in PNG format (in my example, i take one from http://spriters-resource.com/)
  • with a paint software, remove all unaccessary image, put a tranparency, … and make sure there is some empty lines at the end of the image (it is where i save datas)
  • MAKE A COPY ::slight_smile: (no undo and beta stage) and save often
  • load the image with the load button. It will try to detect all the sprites and the palette (perfect color match)
  • “sprite” is to define where sprites are on the image and to move them (lock button toggle)
  • “palette” is to define palettes (replacing a color by another)
  • “system” is to load/save sprite sheet (and define the color of the checkboard for transparency)
  • “plugin” for launch plugin and define the directory where are plugins
  • “animation” is the list of animation. ( “>” button to play an animation in a separate window)
  • “loop” define the begin and the end in step on an animation
  • “step” is use to create steps in an animation (a step can be on several frame = delay)

It should not be difficult to use.

There is an exemple of sprite sheet :

(just save it to disk and open it)

For plugin there is an exemple that pack the sheet :
Source Classes
Just unzip the classes in a directory and select this directory in the soft.
Importer, exporter, editing tool can be maked.

At last there is an exemple of use in LWJGL :
Webstart Source
1-4 Key to change palette
On the numpad, 4,5,2,1 to move

I don’t know if it can be usefull for someone. It is still simple and miss features.

It seems that people don’t care mush about it ;). What are you using to make your sprite sheet ?

small update :

• small bug correction (deleting a sprite)
  • adding zoom
  • new GUI layout (i don’t manage to make one that I like >:()

I use this:

http://www.otcsw.com/platformplant.php

It automatically splits up a sprite sheet of any kind into individual sprites, so it no need to use a paint program or anything. It also doesn’t overwrite your old sprite sheet image. It doesn’t have features for animations or anything.

Since you don’t like your GUI, you may want to take a look at mine and see if you like it. I use a JDesktop and JInternalFrame’s for everything.

Thanks for the reply (i get a 404 error with the webstart link).

Update :

• Plugins work with the java web start version ! :smiley:

Weird… checked my FTP directory and the webstart isn’t there. Thought I just uploaded it.

Okay, it’ll be fixed in a couple hours.

Why do you need to split up the image into small parts? I made a loader for spritesheets in my new game-engine.

It loads an entire sheet and then pans through the sheet, showing the different frames.

It works really well and I dont need to load a billion different images, only one.

I might be missing something, I haven’t really studied anything for this engine, im just making what I feel would work :slight_smile:

I prefere to deal with sprite sheet on one image : it is easier to rework the sprite sheet and i have to deal with only one texture (but it may be a problem with the hardware limitation)

You can divide your spritesheet in two or more images to adecuate to hardware :wink:

I probed your editor and it’s great :wink: I have some questions about it:

• Is it possible to change the colours of the checkered background? The easy way would be add 2 options to change them.
  • How can I change the “hotspot” of each sprite?

I’m very interested on your editor because I want to use this kind of spritesheets on my next game.

Congratulations for the program :wink:

Next to “Load” and “Save” button there is “Grid” (I should change the name). You can change the 2 colors with the 2 buttons.

I change the “base point” of sprite during the animation process :

• create an animation
  • create all the step of the animation
  • for each step, you can move the base point by draging the sprite in the “steps” image or by clicking on the arrows button in “steps”.

If you want, I can add those arrows button in “sprite” it is not a big deal.

Thanks ;D. I think i didn’t upload the last version (I’m pretty sure that I store the directory of the last open image).
If you have any sugestion for the editor or for a plugin, let me know :wink:

edit : New version uploaded, and new plugins uploaded :stuck_out_tongue:

I know this thread is old, but is still relevant.

Interesting tool! I think it is especially clever to save the extra information as the last row of pixels. :slight_smile:

I use this class:

http://code.google.com/p/skorpios/source/browse/trunk/skorpios-desktop/tools/com/esotericsoftware/skorpios/tools/ImagePacker.java

It takes all the images in a directory, removes any transparency around them, and packs them quite efficiently on to any number of larger textures. It can directly take the output of Particle Illusion or whatever you use to make animations and turn them into sprite sheet images and a simple text file describing the sprite locations. To load the “packed images”:

http://code.google.com/p/skorpios/source/browse/trunk/skorpios-common/src/com/esotericsoftware/skorpios/opengl/PackedImages.java

I use this simple class to do animations.

Obviously your tool provides a lot more, by allow you to define the animations and to cut up a large image rather than build a large image out of many smaller ones.