It’s 0:28, well into the competition (with GMT+1 standards). That means, it’s time for a game!
The game is Spingle, which is sort of a spiritual successor to my old Icejump4k (see my signature if you’re not familiar with it). Thus, I’ve also copied the general post style from that post. Here goes, in lots of large letters and fancy words:
The Spingle Experience
In the aftermath of the Icejump Challenge, you, the infamous yellow dart (that looks nothing like a dart, or anything approximating one), are faced with another task. Getting the hell out of there. The seas are stormy and unreliable, so you take to the skies. Enter the Spingles, your friendly neighborhood floating ice blocks. They will help you reach the sky, but there are also dangers; beware of powerful gusts of wind. A path to the stars awaits you - now all you have to do is climb it.
In other words, get as high as you can using those legendary ice jumping skills of yours. To aid you on your journey, The Spingles have granted you a special power - the multi-jump. As long as your SpinglePower ™ meter is not empty, you can jump in mid-air. SpinglePower ™ is gained by standing on the Spingles. The screen wraps from left to right, so if you leave the screen on one side you appear on the other.
- Even more photorealistic graphics! Also, very pretty clouds.
- A more acrobatic version of “the yellow dart”.
- Coins - they’re acrobatic, too.
- Space! And stars to go with it, of course.
- Hard-to-master mid-air jump techniques for performing so called “multijumps”.
- Spingles! (you know you love them)
- Perhaps the dart’s hardest challenge to date: Powerful gusts of wind!
- Use [Left Arrow] and to control the yellow dart’s sideway movement. The screen wraps, so exiting to the left will take you to the right side and vice versa.
- Press [Space] or [Ctrl] to jump. Each jump costs power, which is gained by standing on Spingles.
- [Q] changes between low and high quality graphics settings (the low quality settings may drastically improve performance).
- Use [P] or [Up Arrow] to pause the game.
- Escape exits the game.
- You gain points over time, but for an additional point boost, try standing on a Spingle until it explodes. The further down on the screen the Spingle is, the more points you get.
- Also, each coin you collect gives you points. Every time you collect 20 coins, a field of bonus coins will appear for a huge point bonus!
I’d warmly welcome any suggestions anyone has to offer, and it’s not set in stone yet. Currently it weighs in at an exact 4096 bytes, but I’m pretty sure I can squeeze it down a bit further if needed and if I think of anything to put in there. Also, any thoughts on how to make it more varying (level generation and stuff like that) help!
EDIT: Tiny bits of layout.