SpellCrafter

SpellCrafter is a top down dungeon crawler RPG game, slightly similar to diablo in some respects (level up, buy items, etc).
Create your own spells with different combinations of effects and elements to destroy your enemies.

Please! read the signs in game, and also read the information on the webpage if you are unsure how to play or want to know the hotkeys.

Applet

at this stage, the game has bugs and is very unbalanced. If you have any suggestions on how to make the game better, or have found a bug, please comment!
Have fun :slight_smile:

*link updated 30/07/2012

hola,

i played it for some minutes. love that kind of genre!

pros:

• character development
  • casting / spells
  • graphics are fine

suggestions:

• it’s very dark and hard to see something
  • the light is delayed (needs some seconds to match your position)
  • some kind of melee combat

keep it up!

Is it all done in Java2D?

my system:
MacBook Pro, OS X 10.6.8, Java 6

Thanks for the comment, TheMatrix154!

Thanks very much! I’m glad you liked it. :slight_smile:

This is true. It depends on which moniter the game is played, some it is bright and others very dark. I will think of another way to do my fog and then fix it, hopefully it will work better.
The light delay also is part of the above problem. I should be able to fix them both at the same time.

Good Idea! I hadn’t thought of it. I will try to put something in for the next version.

indeed. the game is definitely a lot slower than if i had made it using OpenGL, but with careful optimisation and planning, in some cases Java2D games can turn out ok. And its a lot smaller! (total: around 600kb) :slight_smile:

Fun game!

• A little too dark.
  • Missed music, or at least some kind of sound reaction to things happening.
  • Sometimes it lagged (had a lot of problems when walking into walls, didn’t feel so smooth).
  • When shooting at enemies at a crossroad the thing went usually bonkers. They and I was shooting at eachother but the spells got stuck right between us.

Positive:

• Loved the minimap.
  • Loved the spells.
  • Loved the easy to use controls.
  • Loved the way that stuff flew to me so I didn’t have to pick it up directly.

Those were the most obvious things to me at least. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the reply, Skarion :slight_smile:
I’m glad you enjoyed it. I’ve fixed some of the bugs: The walls are no longer bouncy, and the game is less dark.
I also have added a melee attack (Press control)

At this moment I am not sure if I will have sound or not.

Quite hard on first cause I need to fight 3-4 enemies at same time while still lvl 1 LoL
The spell shoot range is kinda too short I think. that’s all :slight_smile:

Hehe :slight_smile: Thanks for the comment, ReBirth.
I will decrease the enemies on the first level.
You can make longer range spells - If you only use the default spell it doesn’t have very long range.

Installation: +1 point if the game installs and uninstalls correctly
Stability: +1 point if the game doesn’t crash ever
Presentation: +1 point if the game is slickly presented
Graphics: +1 point if the game has “good” graphics that suit the game
Sound: +0 no sound
Style: +1 point if the game’s overall style is “good”
Innovation: +0 not particularly innovative yet
Fun Factor: +1 point if your judge enjoyed playing the game
Completeness: +0 feels relatively complete, but could definitely use a lot more than what it currently has.
Freebie: +1 point if you don’t whine and you demand nothing of the mods (simply saying “can you rate my game please” is fine)

7/10

FEATURED

Thankyou very much for the review, Eli Delventhal. It means a lot to me. :slight_smile:

Pretty good. I didn’t realize at first those were gold coins. Sound effects will help with that.

Thanks for the reply, aazimon.

I have now been convinced that sound is essential, and am currently adding music and sfx. I will post a new version soon.

New version:
Now contains music and a few sound effects ;D
(although i had to make the music quality quite low because my web host restricts file sizes to under 3 mb or something…)

To solve that, maybe you can use short clip that looping forever for BGM so it allows you to have better quality.