Speed4k

Achieve 10 laps in the best possible time, whilst avoiding the other innocent road users.

Play Speed4k

Controls:

• Move Player: Cursor Keys
  • Start Game: Enter Key

Notes:

• 2GHz or better processor recommended for best framerate.
  • Tested on Windows, Mac OSX & Linux (Thanks to arne for the linux testing)

Wow! New technology level in 4k achieved!

Brilliant! Brialliant! Brillaint!

Kev

PS. Hard to control tho :wink:

as brummies would say : “tha’ is well nice”

damn the tech on this game is on another level :o

if only it had a motor bike as the vehicle you drive it’d be a road rash clone :slight_smile:

How did you manage to put that into 4K ???

Great Game !! :smiley:

works on Linux, too.

Arne

really impresive! congrats

ran pretty smooth in a 1.3ghz athlon ::slight_smile:

With great difficulty. It’s been over 4k all weekend. Fortunately it’s now scraping in.

Thanks for testing. I just need to fire up my Mac now.

I see what you mean. However getting the bikes to lean over realistically on corners would be challenging :wink:

:slight_smile:

Wow.

My game is still at 4400 bytes and it’s very lame by comparison.

Wow, wow, wow :o .

I can’t even begin to imagine how your rendering that terrain. This is very well done.

This contest is only… 4 days old? It’s going to be a good year for the 4k :wink: .

Oh, and this runs fine on my 866 p3.

Is anyone else having control problems? I try to steer, but the car keeps understeering. I can’t find any way to take a sharp curve without going right off the road. Even driving on a straight road is a challenge. :frowning:

The steering is tricky. I tried to give it realistic dynamics, it doesn’t really work well with the cursor keys.
I’ll have to work on it some more. However, if you brake before the corner, you get less understeer.

The terain rendering is sort of fake voxels. Rather than full 3D raycasting, I’m doing 2D raycasting, checking the ray against a procedural heightmap at intervals inversely proportional to the distance from the viewer.

Alan :slight_smile:

Suh…weet!!

Very very nice. =D

THAT IS NOT 4k!

Well, I’m sure it is, I haven’t checked, but HOW ON EARTH DID YOU DO THAT?!

So awesome. Amazing. Splendid.

I love it! High-tech!

Amazing tech. :o

Great job.

unbelievable! :smiley:

Very nice, had no problem playing it on my mac at work. :slight_smile:

Hi, well done !.. but the invisible cars are hard to avoid (Mac os 10.3, latest 1.4.2 jre) !!!

Lilian

Sorry to hear that the invisible cars have joined the invisible monsters. The cars are visible with OS 10.4, JRE 1.4.2, it there must be something subtle. Can you see the Lap times at the top of the screen? I used slightly different code for that.
Thanks

The car image copying code. This just checks the transparency bits. They ought to be set as the carImage is TYPE_INT_ARGB.

if ((carData[img][src] & 0xff000000) != 0){
 zBuffer[dst] = lz;
 screenData[dst] = carData[img][src];
}

The time/last lap/best lap/lap display code. This ignores the transparency bits and maps black to transparent. I could do that for the cars too, since they don’t have any black:

col = scoreData[xx+SCREENWIDTH*yy];
if ((col & 0xffffff) != 0)
 screenData[xx+SCREENWIDTH*(20+yy)] = col;