Space Invaders

Hello JGO!

I have been taking sometime to step back and have a shot at some classics, taking everything I have learned over the course of a year and applying it.

Although this is not an exact replica (I was still swimming in Baghdad at the time this was out), I have tried to make it similar from what I have read.

I managed to whack this out in about a week and a half worth of time, which is quite long giving the games simplicity. So Here I present it! A re-make of the classic.

http://s26.postimg.org/rvlc3m2q1/forum.png

Controls:

E/Enter - Select On Menu
Up Arrow/Down Arrow - Navigate Menu

A/Left Arrow - Move Left
D/Right Array - Move Right
Space - Fire
P - Pause

History of Space Invaders

Space Invaders (スペースインベーダー Supēsu Inbēdā?) is an arcade video game developed by Tomohiro Nishikado and released in 1978. It was originally manufactured and sold by Taito in Japan, and was later licensed for production in the United States by the Midway division of Bally. Space Invaders is one of the earliest shooting games and the aim is to defeat waves of aliens with a laser cannon to earn as many points as possible.

The game has been the inspiration for other video games, re-released on numerous platforms, and led to several sequels. The 1980 Atari 2600 version quadrupled the system’s sales and became the first “killer app” for video game consoles. Space Invaders has been referenced and parodied in multiple television shows, and been a part of several video game and cultural exhibitions. The pixelated enemy alien has become a pop culture icon, often used as a synecdoche representing video games as a whole.

Origin Of Art/Sound

The Space Invaders themselves were downloaded from Classic Gaming
The Song was downloaded from the same website
The player and various other sound effects were grabbed from free sound effects websites that were labelled as public domain or other similar licence and/or made by me using Bfxr.

Disclaimer

Space Invaders and the Space Invaders logo, art and anything else I can be sued for are copyrighted by their respected owner. I take no credit for the design or concept of the game itself. Anything used under copyright of others is used on a “fair use” and non commercial level, in order to further my knowledge in game development.

Screenshots

http://s26.postimg.org/ed58zubt5/screen1.png

http://s26.postimg.org/729qnpvex/screen2.png

Download
Bitbucket

Showing an Image with a big “Space Invaders” banner is one thing. An in-game screenshot from gameplay might be cool too :wink:

Yeah, done.

I will get around to firing a quick video up!

Nice! Looks really good :slight_smile:

Perfect!

Looks really good! Nice job!

This would be a fun project to undertake, maybe someday when I can stop playing with toilets! :slight_smile:

I uploaded a new version, the first one had an issue with a null pointer due to my collision check order.

I can’t seem to record a video, it can’t see the window it just appears all black :(.