SlicksandSlide

New version is now live. 1 and 2 player local racing, online Applet, 2 tracks. should work for Windoze/Mac/Linux.
http://www.slicksandslide.com

Started up and ran fine here (vista64, java 1.6.0_07-b06). The website was clean and easy to navigate but having it run 2 applets was strange, probably just because i have the java console pop up for each applet.

The graphics look pretty good except the solid gray boxes as shown directly above the red car in the screen shot.

The car physics seem odd, like the track is made of ice, not sure if that’s intentional as the name might imply this, everything else seems right.

Unfortunatly didnt work for me…

sun.security.validator.ValidatorException: PKIX path validation failed: java.security.cert.CertPathValidatorException: java.io.IOException: Response is unreliable: its validity interval is out-of-date
at sun.security.validator.PKIXValidator.doValidate(Unknown Source)
at sun.security.validator.PKIXValidator.doValidate(Unknown Source)
at sun.security.validator.PKIXValidator.engineValidate(Unknown Source)
at sun.security.validator.Validator.validate(Unknown Source)
at sun.security.validator.Validator.validate(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.deploy.security.TrustDecider.isAllPermissionGranted(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.javaws.security.AppPolicy.grantUnrestrictedAccess(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.javaws.LaunchDownload.checkSignedResourcesHelper(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.javaws.LaunchDownload.checkSignedResources(Unknown Source)
at sun.plugin2.applet.JNLP2Manager.prepareLaunchFile(Unknown Source)
at sun.plugin2.applet.JNLP2Manager.loadJarFiles(Unknown Source)
at sun.plugin2.applet.Plugin2Manager$AppletExecutionRunnable.run(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Caused by: java.security.cert.CertPathValidatorException: java.io.IOException: Response is unreliable: its validity interval is out-of-date
at sun.security.provider.certpath.PKIXMasterCertPathValidator.validate(Unknown Source)
at sun.security.provider.certpath.PKIXCertPathValidator.doValidate(Unknown Source)
at sun.security.provider.certpath.PKIXCertPathValidator.engineValidate(Unknown Source)
at java.security.cert.CertPathValidator.validate(Unknown Source)
… 13 more
Caused by: java.io.IOException: Response is unreliable: its validity interval is out-of-date
at sun.security.provider.certpath.OCSPResponse$SingleResponse.(Unknown Source)
at sun.security.provider.certpath.OCSPResponse$SingleResponse.(Unknown Source)
at sun.security.provider.certpath.OCSPResponse.(Unknown Source)
at sun.security.provider.certpath.OCSPChecker.check(Unknown Source)
… 17 more

And from the console…

ExitException[ 4]java.lang.RuntimeException: exit(-1)
at com.sun.javaws.Main.systemExit(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.javaws.security.AppPolicy.grantUnrestrictedAccess(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.javaws.LaunchDownload.checkSignedResourcesHelper(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.javaws.LaunchDownload.checkSignedResources(Unknown Source)
at sun.plugin2.applet.JNLP2Manager.prepareLaunchFile(Unknown Source)
at sun.plugin2.applet.JNLP2Manager.loadJarFiles(Unknown Source)
at sun.plugin2.applet.Plugin2Manager$AppletExecutionRunnable.run(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

!!!

Is this based on the really old PC game Slick and Slide? :slight_smile:

Does not run.

Do you use some repaint in loop? Application consumes one entire core of my CPU… 50% CPU load…
Anyways nice game :slight_smile:

First game I’ve seen on these forums that has models advertising it…

Crashed the first time I tried it (probably because I was resizing the window at the time). Worked fine the second.

Only tried the one-player mode. Overall it plays quite nicely, although the driving is a bit too slippery for my tastes.

Simon

1. game. I liked the physics (seemed somewhat bouncy to me) and the speed of the game. Only thing I could lament on was the loading time which seemed an eternity.

ookay…

1. @steveyO: PKIX path validation failed: java.security.cert.CertPathValidatorException, wtf :frowning: wonder if it’s the joal or the oggvorbis causing that one.
  2. @Mr. Gol: yes indeed, the original slicks is the starting point. Car physics are by the original maker.
  3. @appel: damn. if possible, give more damage report data.
  4. @williamwoles: there is no ‘slacking off’ optimization, and repainting as fast as possible–, noticed the same thing recently and guess i should improve the idling state at least.
  5. @dishmoth:, yep tried doing resizes while loading, crashed nasty. will try to safeguard this.
  6. @DoubleBarrel: loading time on first boot is infernal. only getting joal(from java) and oggvorbis(from site)
    files, but verification seems to be taking amazingly long. Am sad but not sure how this could be improved.

Thanks to each for feedback!

You might have some elements with: paint and paintComponent methods… And somewhere you might call super.paint(g) instead of super.paintComponent(g);… this happend to me once…

Runs now.

I think it’s pretty cool.

The car goes too fast for such a small track, and the physics are a bit strange because of it.

I’d reduce the speed and make the physics more real.

Thanks appel. The original creator disagreed half a year back when we tested out the slower speed, so we ride with his nose for that one,
but I agree that the ‘bouncing’ off the walls is a bit too loose, that at least could be tightened up.
The original is based on being ‘slippery’ so I think we stand by that decision, but it is quite possible to make different tracks have different surface properties.

I found it very hard to play. It feels as though sometimes it’s taking up to 4 seconds to process key events - but I’m not sure whether it really is or whether that’s just the physics model. Either way I end up with massive overshoot and oversteer.

We played the original heaps when I was younger. The controls and speed all feel faithful. Once you are used to it the over-steering is just another part of the game (you’re supposed to be skidding 90% of the time). I can’t wait until you add the motorcycle - that one took real skill to control. :slight_smile:

@pjt33: something is definitely wrong there. If you would be so kind as to try once more, and press F1 during the game, the left side should show
renderer information, particularly FPS would be interesting to hear.

@Jono: Love to hear it! We’ll most likely be expanding and adding features next year - we are pacing ourselves as our budget is pretty much nonexistent.

FPS ranges roughly from 170 to 250
avgR is roughly 4ms to 5ms
avgE seems to be constant 0ms
TICK oscillates between 0 and (I think) 1

My current record for time taken to start turning after I hold down the key is 10 seconds.

Hi Karmington,

nice game. The only issue I have is that I will always have a control problem with this type of game that plays with the keyboard. To me it’s not really appropriate and more frustrating. But I understand that the controls of your game is limited due to the PC as a platform.

@pjt33: hmm no problem with fps… I’m going to make a build next week which tries to get some more debug information on this. Weird bug, haven’t heard this problem from anybody else. Any more clues as to how I could reproduce this, browser, os, programs running in background ?

@TheAnalogKid: yah, we do have JInput coded in but decided not to put it in the browser version to avoid the security dialogs…

Hello!

Karmington are you the man behind the original slicksandslide Mr. Timo Kauppinen ?? ( "Ka"rmington == "Ka"uppinen ?? and you have the homesite slicksandslide ?? )
I had great time with my that time friends at early 90’s with slicksandslide, here at Helsinki <-> Vantaa <-> Espoo area !!

Anyway i like this one Java edition too, but still feel that the car on game, moves much too light.
I have a demo of my on coming caveflyer game here -> http://temp4321.dy.fi/JavaGame001/dist/launch.jnlp ( my game is a bit too light moving too! )
The physics are very similiar to car game, if you just make the car a lot heavyer, then game is lot more playable.

Im building a game site as a hobby to my home computer. http://temp4321.dy.fi/

Im also building a car game to my site, with those other 30-50 games, i will be on this game hobby the next 10+?? years.

Slicksandslide, Turbosliders are both the games i look when i build my own car game and they both with AUTS are the main free/share ware games
that have keepd me on this hobby ??

//----

Thanks,

Kubuntu Karmic 64-bit, Firefox 3.5.4, Sun Java 1.6.0.15 64-bit, Intel Duo quad-core. Other programs running: Eclipse, a few shells, Alpine, Kate (KDE text editor), possibly GIMP.