Shard Master Classic - WIP

Lots of stuff here in this update

Message box
Items / Inventory
Fixed collision
World interaction
Item dropping
Memory usage cut down and game runs faster due to graphical cutbacks :stuck_out_tongue:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/hbpnuz6by4634j7/ShardMasterClassic_inv_witem_obfs.jar

EDIT: forgot to mention that to drop an item you have to right click it

Small update, nothing worth a download yet. I’m trying my best to work on this. I just had finals and I’m the only one working on this so the updates are not as frequent as most of us would like.

Added object updating. Basically the objects on tiles can change state at any time now.
Given that, I have made it so that when you pick a flower from a plant, the plant object loses the flower and becomes flowerless. I also added the start to chopping down trees.

Wow I love it! Really reminds me of Runescape! Awesome work. How long have you been working on this project and are you using an engine under your engine (like LWJGL)?

Thank you so much! I’ve been working on this for maybe two months now. No I am using purely my own engine and the standard JRE, no external libraries used, which also means that this is not hardware accelerated so all the graphics are processed on the CPU haha.

LWJGL is not an engine.

Library*, sorry.

Wait, so are you not using OpenGL? :o

Nope it’s a software rasterized game

Wow. Don’t you think that as time goes on and the game become larger, a need for faster graphic processing/rendering will be needed?

I don’t think the game will ever get that large haha.

If anyones curious I’m working on the map and adding misc objects and stuff. Also here’s some corn, tomatoes, and grape vines in the back :slight_smile:

EDIT: here are the available crops, grapes are not included in the picture

Dude! I fucking love it. Great work.

Get working on that multiplayer portion would ya!

Thanks, and who said it would be multiplayer? haha :stuck_out_tongue:

I did! You’re capturing RS Classic so well, why not go all out :wink:

Haha thanks for the enthusiasm, I’m not exactly trying to capture RS Classic though, a lot of things will be different, the only similarities are the graphics and maybe some other minor things but Shard Master is played differently than RS haha

Sorry for the lack of updates, it isn’t because nothing is getting done. Actually a ton of things are getting worked on but they aren’t particularly graphical so there are no pretty screenshots for you to enjoy.

For example, I fixed my image compression/decompression “algorithm” because it was swapping the last column of pixels with the first one in the images, made the shadows a bit better and fixed bugs with it, and I also am starting to work on adding worn equipment and weapons so I had to split the player up into multiple body parts and make the 8 faces for it so that it can “rotate” in 3D. I also split it up so that animation can be done easier rather than having the frames of the animation be different images.

Shadows are toggle-able so if it dampens your performance too much, you can just shut them off. I also added a toggle button for always hiding roofs no matter if you were in the building or not.

EDIT: it appears I havent added the screenshots of the shadows to this thread haha

I’m really getting a PS1 aesthetic from the projects you’ve been making with this engine, is there any chance I could poke around in the source for this?

I don’t no why? But I getting around ~6 fps ;D

Haha don’t bother downloading and playing any of the versions available for download because they are ridiculously outdated :stuck_out_tongue:

The source for the engine?

Yeah, only if you don’t mind. It’s ok.